Author Topic: Tracing Grandfather Arthur Lloyd Jones from Rhyl  (Read 3238 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Grandfather from Rhyl
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 November 15 08:23 GMT (UK) »
In the same BlogSpot as previously there is a reference to the deposit at Flintshire Record Office Hawarden of a collection of a Glyn Rees relating to Rhyl which includes ".....valuable information on early minstrels and pierrots...."

http://rhyl-life.blogspot.co.uk/2015_07_01_archive.html

Regards
Roger

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 November 15 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Roger,
Great! Many thanks. I reckon you have nailed it. The present day Google Street view shows the tiling up well including the curved nature of the columns. Thanks.

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 November 15 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Roger,
Thanks also for the other blogspot link.

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes I thought it might be the Bee. I went there this afternoon and it is a different design. There are pictures of the Bee Hotel on the internet. The Lorne on the junction of High St and market St. has a similar pattern which has now been painted out. Could not find anything in Queen St nor Water St.
(Most of the buildings in Rhyl town centre are still original.)
141 Wellington Road is about a mile away from the town centre, in the direction of Kinmel Bay (roughly where Aldi is today.)
Did Off licences in those days sell beer 'on draught' ?
I am told that there is site of Facebook called 'we love old Rhyl' Perhaps someone on that site could help.
The White Horse pub in Bedford Street, looks as if it was glazed tiled. No sign of that today, the outside has been modernised.
Not much help I'm afraid. The term 'off licence' did not come about until the 1960s, so I am inclined to think this may be a pub, or part of the theatres that existed on the promenade, which have all been pulled down.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to dash all your hopes. The picture in Elwy street is in fact in Bodfor street, and the building is the side of the Bee Hotel facing the railway station. There are no pubs in Elwy street.

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Eldon,
Many thanks for all your helpful comments and research. I have had a look at an old picture of the White Horse and, while there are tiles, the design is markedly different. From my Googling, the old Bee Hotel was on the corner of Bodfor and Elwy. An Aug 2015 street view clearly shows the part on Elwy.(Picture below). Thanks for the lead to the FB Group which I have asked to join. On my family photo I think you can just see what is probably the word BAR on one pillar. I used the term "off-licence" originally and welcome your advice about the later introduction of that term.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »
The term 'off licence' did not come about until the 1960s,

Eldon - What were they called before?  I used to go to the off licence during the 1940/50s to get cigarettes for my parents and I'm sure they were called off licences then.  No-one thought it odd that a young child aged from about 7 until I was 12 or so, would go and buy cigarettes for their parents.  I didn't buy alcohol as neither of them drunk, apart from a glass of sherry at Christmas.

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 November 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
The 'off licence' was a part of the pub that was able to sell alcohol without going into the bar. Some may remember them as 'outdoors' or 'offys'. Age did not apply, as it did in the bar. So children would take a jug to the serving hatch in the pub and get beer for dad .
The licensing act 1964 created the off licences that we know today, either in the High St or part of the supermarket. It applied age rules which stopped children buying alcohol.
Looking at the display window in the photograph, it looks as if it may be a wine and spirit dealer. I have seen an advert for Foulkes and co in the Old Town stores. Try this link.

.shttps://rhylhistoryclub.wordpress.com/2015/04/19/victorian-and-edwardian-bottles/

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 November 15 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating. Thanks again, Eldon.