Author Topic: John Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth Begg Kirkcudbrightshire, Kirkpatrick-Durham, Kir  (Read 2119 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth Begg Kirkcudbrightshire, Kirkpatrick-Durham, Kir
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Issy, the 1855 BMD certs were only around for a year, the first of official registration in Scotland, with the entries runnning over two pages of the registers. By 1856, the info had been reduced down to 1855. As good as Scottish BMDs are, the 1855 are pretty special so your are lucky to have both of Elizabeth's parents having died that year.

Martin Beggs shows him as aged 82, a millwright. He died in Kirkpartick Village.  He shows as having lived there all his life (this is the reference to 82 years there).

Father a Martin Begg, think he shows as a weaver and mother Mary Milligan. Married to Ann Cavin.

His children show as:

Elizabeth - aged 48 at the time of his death in 1855
Mary - aged 32
Helen - deceased
John - deceased xxx aged 2
John - deceased xxx aged 9 months
James - deceased aged 3 months

He died on 13/1/1855 in Kirkpatrick Village. Cause of death Catarh(?) 5 days and details of reporting MD/surgeon. Buried at Churchyard Kirkpatrick Durham ( see www.ckpd.org.uk/). Death reported by daughter Elizabeth Begg.

Will have a look too at Ann Cavin's death reg. Wanted to see Martin's first to see what was there first.

Monica :)

PS: The info included on the cert fits well with this family info here, on the link from earlier, www.aganderson.me.uk/webtrees/individual.php?pid=I2323&ged=Anderson
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth Begg Kirkcudbrightshire, Kirkpatrick-Durham, Kir
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Ann's cause of death a month later is the same as husband's Martin isn't. The rest of the info on there is more legible. Hopefully you can work back further on her parents too from there. Their children's details match, both then daughter Elizabeth reported both deaths. She looks to not remember when her sister Helen died.

Cause of death on both certs below. Still looks like Catarrh:

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:20 GMT (UK) »
From here  http://courses.wcupa.edu/jones/his480/notes/deth-dic.htm - wonder if it was pneumonia complications for both?

Catarrh (Catarah/ Catarrah/ Catarrh of Brain/ Catarrh of Head/ Catarrh of Stomach/ Catarrh on the Breast/ Catarrk/ Catarrk Pneumonia) - An inflammatory affection of any mucous membrane, in which there are congetion, swelling, and an alteration in the quantity and quality of mucous secreted. In America, especially, a chronic inflammation of, and hypersecretion from the membranes of nose or air passages. in England, an acute influenza, resulting from a cold and attended with cough, thirst, lassitude and watery eyes; also, the cold itself. Catarrh Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lung tissue associated with catarrh and with marked evidences of inflammation of the bronchial membranes - often chronic.

Monica

Offline issykirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry everyone who replied and did such a lot of work on my question of John Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth Begg.  I was a bit over whelmed by the response and it has taken me a while to get my head round it all. Although I have a lot more to find out including some suggestions on here, here is what I have so far, though some of the dates are a bit off.
1892 – Death - John Kirkpatrick, age 88?, (general labourer), born Troqueer 1808?, widower of Elizabeth Begg, son of Denholm Kirkpatrick (carter) and Mary Edgar, informant Denholm Kirkpatrick, son.
1889 – Death - Elizabeth Kirkpatrick, age 86?, married to John Kirkpatrick (general labourer), daughter of Martin Beggs (millwright) and Ann Beggs m.s. Caven, informant Denholm Kirkpatrick, son.
1868 – Marriage - William Kirkpatrick (age 20?) son of John Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth Kirkpatrick m.s. Beg, to Margaret Graham (age 22) daughter of David Graham and Jane Graham m.s. Nesbit at Ardwall, New Abbey. Witness David Graham and ............Dobie. (SP) 1863 – Anne Kirkpatrick husband Thomas Bennet daughter Elizabeth Begg Bennet, Kirkbean. (FS)
1862 – Ann Kirkpatrick married Thomas Benet, Kirkbean. (FS)
1861 – Census - William kirkpatrick at Wreaths, Kirkbean, Southerness.
John Kirkpatrick age 54, ag lab, Troqueer

Eliza age 55, ag lab's wife, Isle of Man

Ann age 23, ag lab, Kirkpatrick

Robt age 15, scholar, Kirkbean

William age 11, scholar, Kirkbean (SP)

1855 – Death - Ann Begg m.s. Caven, age 83 at Buitle?, Kirkpatrick Durham. Father Robert? Caven married to Elizabeth Caven m.s. Orr. Husband Martin Begg, Millwright (Deceased).

Elizabeth 48

Mary 32

Helen Dec

John Dec. . 2

John Dec. . 9 months

James Dec. . 3 months

Church yard Kirkpatrick Durham, reported by Elizabeth Begg, daughter.

1855 – Death - Begg Martin, age 82. Son of Martin Begg (millwright?) and mother Mary Begg m.s. Milligan. Married to Ann Caven.

1. Elizabeth 48

2. Mary 32

3. Helen Dec

4. John Dec. . 2

5. John Dec. . 9 months

6. James Dec. . 3 months

Church yard kirkpatrick Durham, reported by Elizabeth Begg, daughter.

1851 – Census – John Kirkpatrick, age 41, ploughman, Troqueer. (SP &FS)

Elisabeth, age 42, Kirkpatrick. (SP?)

Ann, age 14, Kirkpatrick. (SP & FS)

David, age 12, Kirkpatrick. (SP & FS)

Lewis, age 10, Kirkpatrick. (Sp & FS)

Denholm, age 8, Kirkbean. (SP)

Martin, age 5, Kirkbean. (SP & FS)

Robert, age 4, Kirkbean. (SP)

William, age 1, Kirkbean. (SP)

1849 – Baptism on 09/12/1849 of William MartinKirkpatrick born 14/11/1849 lawful son of John Kirkpatrick & Elizabeth Begg at Durham, Kirkbean by Rev ...... Grierson. (SP)

1847 – Birth – Robert Smith Kirkpatrick to Elisabeth Begg and John Kirkpatrick at Kirkbean (FS).

1843 - Birth – Denholm Kirkpatrick to Elisabeth Begg and John Kirkpatrick at Kirkbean. (SP & FS).

1841 – Census - Ann Kirkpatrick, Kirkpatrick Durham. Village/s ?

John Kirkpatrick, age 31, ag lab.

Elisabeth, age 30/32 Isle of Man

John, age 9 (SP & FS)

Ann, age 4 1/2 (SP & FS)

David, age 2 1/2 (SP &FS)

Lewis, age 6 months (SP & FS)

1809 – Burials – Mary Begg 01/01/1809 at Malew. Mary daughter of Martin. (Isle of Man)

1808 – Born - John Kirkpatrick son of Denholm Kirkpatrick and Mary Edgar Baptised 22/06/1808 (SP).

1808 - Baptism – John Begg 10/01/1808 at Malew son of Martin Begg and Ann Cavins. (Isle of Man).

Thanks for all the support and sorry to be long winded, I still have other things to look into. I can see this taking a while yet as I've still only got the one marriage for such a big family.

Regards

issy