Author Topic: How many times did Elizabeth Hannah Hargreaves marry?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
How many times did Elizabeth Hannah Hargreaves marry?
« on: Saturday 14 November 15 05:16 GMT (UK) »
I have a puzzle as follows:

Elizabeth Hannah Hargreaves, born ca 1869 in Stacksteads, Bacup, Lancashire had six children:

1. Clara Page Hargreaves, 1888
2. Sarah Page Hargreaves, 1889
3. Joseph Page Hargreaves, 1891

In 1891, they were all residing with Joseph Page, single, in Nelson (Burnley) - Joseph and Elizabeth listed as the parents of the three children.

In 1901, Elizabeth was enumerated as a housekeeper in the household of Walter Johnson, still in Nelson, now with three more children:

4. Fred Hargreaves, 1893
5. Edith Hargreaves, 1897
6. Walter Hargreaves, 1899

In 1911, Walter Johnson, head, married, is living in Nelson with Fred, Edith, and Walter. No Elizabeth - instead a servant by the name of Alice Dawson. The children are all now bearing the surname Johnson.

I did obtain a marriage certificate for Walter Johnson and Elizabeth Hannah Hargreaves, dated 1903, register office Burnley.

Here is where it gets really weird.

According to the marriage certificate, Elizabeth is a widow, and her father's name is Roger Platt.

So, did Elizabeth get married and widowed sometime between 1901 and 1903?

Was her maiden name Platt and did she marry someone named Hargreaves - giving that name to all her children?

Or was it the custom for a previously married woman to put the name of her deceased husband in the spot for her father's name? (I found a marriage for an Elizabeth Hargreaves and a John Thomas Platt in 1903, but this seems to be just a coincidence - Hargreaves is very well represented in the area).

Because her name is common, I have not confirmed her birth and parents. The only reason I have as much information as I do is because, bless her, she named her children in a way to make it easier to trace them.

This is my husband's great-grandmother and I would really like to find her before and after the census records.

Thanks for any ideas that might help.

Kathleen

in
England - Todmorden/Burnley: Cooper/Berry, Horsfall, Greenwood, Kershaw, Strachan, Hargreaves, Platt, Barcroft, Hamer. Derby, Staffs: Grimley, Ison.

England - Somerset: Chivers, Lintern, Memory; Tefft

Ireland - Co. Tyrone: McElrea, Fulton, Forsythe

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How many times did Elizabeth Hannah Hargreaves marry?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 November 15 07:17 GMT (UK) »
1888 Clara P Hargreaves registered in Whitworth and Brandwood  - Rochdale WB/50/62
1889 Sarah Page Hargreaves registered Colne - Preston (mmn Hargreaves )  COL /102/29
1891 Joseph Page Hargreaves - same Colne    mmn Hargreaves   COL/106/69
1893 Frederick Hargreaves - Burnley - Preston - mmn Hargreaves  BU/215/46
1897 Edith Johnson Hargreaves  - Nelson  - Preston - mmn Hargreaves   NEL/7/54
1899 Walter Johnson Hargreaves - Nelson - Preston mmn PLATT     NEL/11/33

So -
1885 in Hyndburn Register Office or Registrar attended - Elizabeth Hannah Platt married John Hargreaves
it looks to me like this is Elizabeth Hannahs only official marriage
maybe someone else can spot something I haven't ??
 :)
you may want to have a look at
Sarah Jane Hargreaves - 1886 mmn PLATT registered Newchurch - Preston  NEW/78/14
Maud Alice Hargreaves - 1887 mmn PLATT registered Colne - Preston - COL/93/78
THESE MAY ALSO BE CHILDREN OF Elizabeth Hannah Platt / Hargreaves and maybe they are with John Hargreaves in 1891 census ?? Newchurch to Stacksteads is 1 mile - so Sarah Jane looks to be very possible
all available on
www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
marriage was in 1905 for Walter and Elizabeth - you have posted 1903
1905 - Lancashirebmd
Elizabeth Hannah HARGREAVES & Walter JOHNSON Burnley Register Office/ Registrar Attended Preston RM/134/123
Walter JOHNSON & Elizabeth Hannah PLATT Burnley Register Office/ Registrar Attended   Preston RM/134/123

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 15 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Baptism: 20 Oct 1887 St John the Evangelist, Great Marsden, Lancashire
Maud Alice Hargreaves - 2nd daug. of John & Elizabeth Ann Hargreaves of Great Marsden
b 17 May 1887.  John was a mason

Hannah = Ann on many records and it states 2ND DAUGHTER ...so it looks to me like Elizabeth Hannah had 8 children and not 6...let me see if I can find Maud Alice Hargreaves in the 1891 census
ADDED
sadly she died aged 5 months
Alice Maud Hargreaves buried 26 Oct 1887 St John the Evangelist, Great Marsden, Lancashire

Sarah Jane born mar qtr 1886 Haslingden - died sep qtr 1886 Haslingden - looks like they both died as babies ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 15 07:59 GMT (UK) »
take a look at this family and see what you think - if Elizabeth Hannah / Ann Platt married in 1885 to John Hargreaves  and you know her fathers name was Roger Platt - this Elizabeth Ann Platt was born 1865 - not 1869 ....looks to be the right family to me
names are given of Elizabeths siblings and mother to Elizabeths own children ie Sarah / Alice

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KD6Z-FQ8   9 miles from Newchurch

what do you think ?

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 November 15 09:23 GMT (UK) »
From www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
Elizabeth Hannah Hargreaves (previously Elizabeth Hannah Platt) and Walter Johnson at Burnley Register Office.

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 November 15 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much to all! I knew this was the place to ask for help. I have been away from British research for a while and forgot some of the places to look. Still have some digging to do about possible other children, etc., but at least I think this will stand up:

Elizabeth Hannah Platt was the daughter of Roger Platt and Sarah Ann Barcroft - this is huge, because the family only knew her as Hargreaves. She married John Hargreaves first and then Walter Johnson. I have ordered certificates for her birth and Hargreaves marriage, plus the birth of her mother, which is also a new surname.

Garstonite has given me a lot to look at - the name Maude for one, as that was the name of Clara Hargreaves Grimley's first daughter.

BTW, NOW my husband tells me he remembers visiting relatives at Stacksteads...where was that information 20 years ago? LOL

Kathleen
England - Todmorden/Burnley: Cooper/Berry, Horsfall, Greenwood, Kershaw, Strachan, Hargreaves, Platt, Barcroft, Hamer. Derby, Staffs: Grimley, Ison.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 November 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
A possibility in 1891 for her estranged husband:

25 yr old stonemason's labourer John Hargraves, born Burnley, "married" but no wife with him.  Enumerated in the household of his father Richard, a stonemason, at 25 Boot Street, Burnley.

RG12/3360/31/55.

Obviously there is a match with the father's occupation on Maud's baptism.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 November 15 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm.

John Hargreaves, 22, of 25 Boot St, Burnley, married Agnes Bethom, 19, at St Peter Burnley on 6 Oct 1887.

Agnes appears with her parents in 1891 and two children, Ethel Hargreaves 3 and Walter Hargreaves 1.  She is with John in later censuses.

So this John of Boot St was either bigamously married before the baptism of Maud, or he is a red herring and not the John who was married to Elizabeth.

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 November 15 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, AVM. Soooo many Hargreaves in that area, so I am not surprised. I was surprised, though, at how many Elizabeth Hannah/Ann Platts were around at the same time!
My husband's ancestry doesn't have a unique name to be found.