Author Topic: Help locating c.1796 baptism  (Read 520 times)

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help locating c.1796 baptism
« on: Saturday 14 November 15 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

I am looking for a baptism for Elizabeth GUNNERY who married John Blanthorn at Chester in 1818.
I believe she died in 1839 at Manchester which shows her birth date as 1796. The family were going back and forth from Chester to Manchester quite often so i'm not sure where Elizabeth was born.

Appreciate any help,
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help locating c.1796 baptism
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 November 15 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Gunery 3 Jan 1796 Taporley, Cheshire , William & Mary

One to consider ?
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Gunery 3 Jan 1796 Taporley, Cheshire , William & Mary

One to consider ?
Hi, thanks for your response.

However there is a marriage licence in 1826 between a Joseph Dodd and Elizabeth Gunnery. It gives her birth as 1797 and being of Tarporley, Cheshire. So i don't think this is her.

Regards,
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer

Offline GrannyM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 November 15 05:36 GMT (UK) »
1841 census shows a Joseph and Elizabeth Dodd aged 70 and 65 living with Sarah Gunnery and a couple of Gunnery children. I wonder if this is the same couple who married in 1826? Ages don't add up though  ??? So maybe this Elizabeth isn't the one in the 1796 baptism to William and Mary? that is the 1796 baptism could be your Elizabeth afterall.
Rigby-Lathom, Freckleton,
Singleton-Fylde
Moss-Rufford
Johnson-Tarleton
Hull-Tarleton, Fylde
French-Abram,Rainford
Blake-Upton in Cheshire
Bolas-Shropshire
Butler- Greenhalgh, Lancs
Harrison - Garstang, Lancs

Offline GrannyM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 15 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Do you know who John and Levina Minshull are , witnesses to the marriage of Elizabeth to John Blanthorn?
Rigby-Lathom, Freckleton,
Singleton-Fylde
Moss-Rufford
Johnson-Tarleton
Hull-Tarleton, Fylde
French-Abram,Rainford
Blake-Upton in Cheshire
Bolas-Shropshire
Butler- Greenhalgh, Lancs
Harrison - Garstang, Lancs

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 15 14:15 GMT (UK) »
1841 census shows a Joseph and Elizabeth Dodd aged 70 and 65 living with Sarah Gunnery and a couple of Gunnery children. I wonder if this is the same couple who married in 1826? Ages don't add up though  ??? So maybe this Elizabeth isn't the one in the 1796 baptism to William and Mary? that is the 1796 baptism could be your Elizabeth afterall.
Hi GrannyM,

Thanks for posting that information, i'm not sure who John and Levina Minshall are and i cant find a connection between them and my relatives. They might just have been friends perhaps. I have come to the conclusion that there was actually 2 different William and Mary Gunnery's having children at the same time, one in Taporley and the other in Chester. The pair in Chester actually moved to Manchester around 1804 and also mentions William as a 'military man' in one of his children's baptisms. John Blanthorn was also a 'military man' and was born in Chester before he moved to Manchester with Elizabeth and their children. There is also a gap in baptisms for children of this William and Mary between 1795 and 1800 so Elizabeth would fit in that gap. I can't find a marriage for William and Mary though, just to be annoying the other William and Mary (Taporley) are in the marriage register for 1794.

Appreciate your help,
Pendlelad
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer