Author Topic: Hatton Asylum burials  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Andy_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hatton Asylum burials
« on: Saturday 14 November 15 14:35 GMT (UK) »
My g grandfather died in Hatton Asylum in 1924, I've just got hold of his burial record which shows it in the parish of Budbrooke.

I assumed that burials at the asylum would have been recorded in the parish of Hatton. Does the burial record mean that he was buried at St Michaels in Budbrooke or were burials at the asylum always/sometimes recorded in Budbrooke?

Anyone know?

Andy
CLARK, CLARKE - Rugby - Coventry - Canada
DUVAL, DUVALL - Kent
MINSHALL
HEWARD

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hatton Asylum burials
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 November 15 16:38 GMT (UK) »
There is a difference in where a death was registered and where that person is buried.

A death was registered in the district in which it occurred.  However - the family may have wanted him to be buried elsewhere

Both Hatton & Budbrooke were in the Warwick Registration District 

Burial records usually show the actual place where the person is buried.  Where did you get the burial record from? 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Andy_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 15 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I have a scan of the original burial record for 'Burials in the Parish of Budbrooke' from Warwickshire CRO, along with most of his medical records from Hatton Asylum, obtained with a FOI request.

I've been slowly piecing together details of my g grandfather and his family over quite a few years now. I knew he died at Hatton, I have a copy of the Death Certificate. I assumed that he was buried in the graveyard at the asylum which is why I was surprised to see the burial recorded in the parish of Budbrooke.

[edit]
Just seen that the Burial Record is from the 'Register of Burials at the Asylum' so I guess he was in fact buried there.

Still puzzled as to why it's in the parish of Budbrooke and not Hatton.

Andy
DUVAL, DUVALL - Kent
MINSHALL
HEWARD

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 16 22:17 GMT (UK) »
My 4 X gr grandfather also died and was buried at Hatton in 1880. There are 2 small burial sites with more than one person in each plot. I think possibly your ancestor mat have been buried at Budbrooke because there wasn't any more room.
I've been to Hatton to see the burial grounds with a chap from Warwick District Council who was very helpful.

Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Andy_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, do you have the burial record for your 4x g grandfather from the Hatton Register of Burials? As you know that he was buried at the Asylum I'd be very interested to know which parish was recorded on it.

The Warwick CRO states that my g grandfathers burial record comes from the Register of Burials at the Asylum but it definitely records the burial in the parish of Budbrooke.

Do you have contact details for the helpful person at Warwick DC?

Andy
DUVAL, DUVALL - Kent
MINSHALL
HEWARD

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy
I'll have to dig through my notes, but his death is recorded in the parish of Warwick in the GRO death register.
Also, when I went to the records office there was a map/plan of the burial ground at Hatton.
I've got piles of notes, but will probably have chance to go through them this week.

All I did was ring Warwick District Council and asked to be put through to someone who deals with burials.  I told them that my ancestor had been buried at the assylum and they insisted on meeting with me at the new housing estate at hatton.  Basically when the building contractors created the new estate they removed all the grave markers and used them as landfill for the roads.  There was nothing to show that either area was a cemetary.  After someone contacted the council to tell them that kids were playing football on those areas, then a memorial stone and trees were placed at both sites.  I think I was the first ancestor to ever visit that site.
I'm sure if you just call them they will be helpful.  Its been over 5 years since I called them.
But I will see if I can find anything else for you.

Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 16 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Ancestry?  I've just noticed there are some more Hatton records on there now.
If you don't, then let me have your ancestors details and I'll try and look them up for you.

Offline Andy_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 16 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy
I'll have to dig through my notes, but his death is recorded in the parish of Warwick in the GRO death register.
Also, when I went to the records office there was a map/plan of the burial ground at Hatton.
I've got piles of notes, but will probably have chance to go through them this week.
The death would have been registered at Warwick but it's the confirmation of the actual burial place that I'm interested in. as far as I know this would only come from parish records. Warwick CRO told me that there are no records of exactly where individuals were buried at Hatton, I'd be interested if they actually have a plan showing plots
All I did was ring Warwick District Council and asked to be put through to someone who deals with burials.  I told them that my ancestor had been buried at the assylum and they insisted on meeting with me at the new housing estate at hatton.  Basically when the building contractors created the new estate they removed all the grave markers and used them as landfill for the roads.  There was nothing to show that either area was a cemetary.  After someone contacted the council to tell them that kids were playing football on those areas, then a memorial stone and trees were placed at both sites.  I think I was the first ancestor to ever visit that site.
I'm sure if you just call them they will be helpful.  Its been over 5 years since I called them.
But I will see if I can find anything else for you.

Lisa
I knew about the 'vandalism' of the contractors but at least there is now a proper memorial at the site.

Andy
DUVAL, DUVALL - Kent
MINSHALL
HEWARD

Offline Andy_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 16 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Ancestry?  I've just noticed there are some more Hatton records on there now.
If you don't, then let me have your ancestors details and I'll try and look them up for you.
Yes I do, I'll take another look but the problem is that my g grandfathers death was less than 100 years ago so most records are unavailable for general access. Virtually everything I've found out has come from FOI requests (as a direct descendant) to the Warwick CRO.

Andy
DUVAL, DUVALL - Kent
MINSHALL
HEWARD