Author Topic: Kelly's Directory 1936 Bedfordshire Lookup Please  (Read 911 times)

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelly's Directory 1936 Bedfordshire Lookup Please
« on: Saturday 14 November 15 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Please could someone with a copy of the Kelly's directory lookup a farmer "Herbert Warner" living on a farm in Carlton, Bedfordshire around 1936/1938 with his wife Daisy.

Any information on the address would be much appreciated.

Regards

Sally

COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly's Directory 1936 Bedfordshire Lookup Please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 November 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sally

I have both the 1936 & 1940 Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire; the section for Carlton & Chellington does not list a Herbert Warner in private residents (however this is not a full list of people) or commercial (while other farmers are listed). Neither is he listed in the full alphabetic index.

Have you got the info on the 1939 register available from Find-my-Past ? Both Herbert W Warner born 1891 & Daisy E Warner born 1891 are in Bedford Rural District....the TNA ref is 1996C/010.... I've only gleaned this from the search results, I've not looked at the scanned document, you will need to pay £6.95 to do so.

Also from FindMyPast their wedding is written up in the Beds Times of 4 Sept 1914 - again you'll need to pay to see it   

Cheers
John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly's Directory 1936 Bedfordshire Lookup Please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 November 15 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Many thanks for your help  :)

Yes you have the correct Warner family and yes I had got the TNA reference from Findmypast website but I wanted to try and find out more information as I believed my Aunt also lived there but on the 1939 register she could be listed as one of the closed people even though she has passed away!

The information I have from my father is Herbert William Warner was a farmer at Carlton around 1939.  Looking at the 1911 census and also his marriage certificate in 1914 he was a farmer on Stratton Farm, Biggleswade which belonged to his father William Warner.

I've been told after they married they have lived at Stagsden, Harrold and Carlton and this is what I am trying to get confirmed.

Any further information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sally

ps  Have now just read the lovely interesting wedding article on Findmypast website - I will try and find out from my Dad if he can add any further info!

COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire