Author Topic: Angus McLean b Scotland abt 1826  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Angus McLean b Scotland abt 1826
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Can you also give reference as to where/how the names of other's supplied came to be please?

Other names were
John Angus,
James Andrew,
And possibly Donald

Were they siblings of Isabella & was there no date & place of parents marriage on any of them?

Isabella, (1st born) 1855 with mother's birth year c 1821 so mother would have been 34, not impossible but questionable whether she may have been married previously?

What years were the others baptised & are they in order of birth on your list as this may help to identify parents with scottish naming pattern?

When did it become "law" for birth registration in Canada ?

Did Isabella marry, if so, did her marriage give her mother's maiden name or does it give a "previously" name too, if she was indeed married a 2nd time?

Have you looked for the family 1861/71/91/1901 & when did Sarah die?

Where were the family living in 1881 as the deaths/burials may be recorded in the same area?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Isabelle's baptism is recorded in St George's parish 18 Jul 1855
 "aged 3 months old"
(St George's is north of Georgetown)

Angus died some time after the 1881 census, but as I said earlier the Island only had church records, no certificates until abt 1906.

Sorry, I missed the 1906 date as I was doing other research.

Do you know if the family were elsewhere as well as PEI ?

I found this which made me wonder....as you mentioned a "possible" Donald.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FMFV-456

The reason I ask is.......one of my relatives married in Canada & the bride married by her previous marital name although it did say widow & widower which they both were. I only knew her maiden name because her parents names were on the church marriage record which was 1880. He was born in South Uist & I had him traced all the way by census records from his baptism all the way through (although I haven't found him on a passenger list) but it was his Canadian marriage which enlightened me to a previous marriage!!! He was married after the census of 1871 in Scotland, his wife had died 1874 & had been widowed between census & remarried prior to 1881 census in Brant, Ontario.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Rd,

Sorry for all the questions (feel as though I'm interrogating you) but all info. is crucial.

Scotland is a Country in it's own right but has 100's of islands too.........looks very small on a map but it isn't as small as it looks, (e.g) I live in east scotland but it takes at least 8/9hrs for me to go to South Uist via car & ferry.

Hebridean islands consist of many Mc/Mac's & M(a)cLean is just one of them.

I'm trying my best to establish which island your family originate from, albeit with every possible question I can come up with.

Annie

Offline Rdmclure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
1854 Donald baptised
1855 Isabella
1856 John Angus
? James Andrew no baptism found

There is a Sarah McLean Widow but she is 9 yrs older, living with her nephew Neil McGillivray in 1891 census.

Can't find much on Donald, Isabelle or James Andrew
John Angus is well documented.

Offline Rdmclure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 17:05 GMT (UK) »
one persons guess was Angus From Birth records 12 Jan 1826
John McLean
Isobel Thomson, Rothesay,Bute

I have no way of knowing one way or the other, I can't even get in to scotlands people right now to see if they were catholic.

Offline Rdmclure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 13:25 GMT (UK) »
It appears Sarah may have been born in Nova Scotia, not Scotland as indicated on the census.
There is a record of the death of Sarah McLean nee McGillivray 25 Apr 1896.
Her family seems to have come to Antigonish NS from Arisaig, Scotland in early 1800s according to family history
Rod

Offline silverienz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, do you know that some of the Scottish that went to Nova Scotia carried on and sailed to New Zealand & Australia? I descend from a Sarah McLean who was born on the way to New Zealand. I will have to look for the info i have as it's on my other computer. But alot of the scottish settled in Waipu & there is some info on the waipu settlers website. There has also been a couple of books written about the families that came out & their Voyage.

Offline silverienz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Note, my Sarah would not be the same one as above, but could be a descendant :-) There is definetly an Angus McLean in that side of the family too.