Author Topic: William Baddeley born Burslem 1890  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
William Baddeley born Burslem 1890
« on: Monday 16 November 15 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to build up a picture of a William Baddeley, born 1890, Burslem, to William and Elizabeth Baddeley (Nee Price.) He was one of four children. William was killed in WW1 in 1918, service number, 64242, Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery. 319th Siege Battery. He is remembered on most sites including CWGC as simply, W. Baddeley, with no mention of any family. He was in fact married to Beatrice Plant and according to his service record they lived at 84 Junction Road, Leek they had one son William Cyril Baddeley born 1916. He was a drayman and porter on the railways and is also commemorated on some Railway sites and at Stoke-On Trent Railway Station.
Ideally I would like to find a photograph as I intend to record his details on the IWM site, Lives of the First World War. Is this man on anyone's tree?

Thanks

Boy Scout
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline Tittensor ONS

• RootsChat Member
  • Tittensor One-Name Study site: www.tittensor.com
    • View Profile
Re: William Baddeley born Burslem 1890
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 November 15 08:39 GMT (UK) »
From memory, Stoke City Archives have an index to obituaries in the local newspaper(s), some or all of which have pictures.

Regards,

Paul

Tittensor One-Name Study homepage: www.tittensor.com
Tittensor One-Name Study: www.tittensor.com
Researching surnames:
Tittensor  -  Titensor  -  Tittenson - Titterson
Titson - Titsor - Titser - Tidson - Tidsor - Tidser

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Paul, I've had a look at Stoke City Achieves  but I couldn't find any obituaries. Perhaps I was on the wrong site.
I'll try again.

Boy Scout
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline Tittensor ONS

• RootsChat Member
  • Tittensor One-Name Study site: www.tittensor.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 December 15 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello, further to my earlier, rather vague reply I just found my original notes.  The information I saw (back in 2002) was a printed index to pictures in the Weekly Sentinel compiled by Joan Curwen.  With this information I was able to find that the index is now on-line here:

http://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/default.aspx?Index=M

There are 21 Baddeleys, including 5 with initial W.

Regards,

Paul

Tittensor One-Name study homepage: www.tittensor.com
Tittensor One-Name Study: www.tittensor.com
Researching surnames:
Tittensor  -  Titensor  -  Tittenson - Titterson
Titson - Titsor - Titser - Tidson - Tidsor - Tidser

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Tittensor.

I've been onto the site and he must be that last W Baddeley as the date of the publication fits in with his death and he was a gunner as described in the index.

I have contacted the Stoke Achieves as they request and now await their reply. This is looking good. Thank you for you help in this. I will keep you informed as to the result.

Boy Scout

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I am finally able to record the receipt of a photograph of Gunner William Baddeley born 1890 and died 1918.
Unfortunately the quality of the photograph is very poor I was warned about this before payment, which was a modest £3 for picture and text.
We have learned a little more about him, he was engaged on the Railways as a goods porter at Leek Railway Station. He had been previously injured but returned to the front in 1917. Two brothers, Albert and Harold also served. The odd thing is there is no mention of his wife or child, despite the fact that they appear on his short service record.

Thanks to Tittensor for his help with this.

Boy Scout

Offline Jack1002

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi really happy to see this I am the  great grandson and have searched for a long time for my family history  could  you help all the details regarding parents and army number are correct so I know we are looking at the same person it will be great to see any pictures my mom is the daughter of William Cyril who she never met and only found out about her dad in the last 15 years
Many thanks
Mark

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack 1002 and welcome to Roots Chat.
As mentioned previously I do have a copy of William Baddeley's picture it is typical of those printed in local newspapers of the time and not a brilliant image.
I have a few other details which will help you in your quest.
In order that we can easily exchange research this is better done by the personal messages (PM) system.
This forum has simple rules regarding this in that you will have to have made three separate postings for the system to accept your receipt or sending of a personal message. You already have one post, if you reply to this and then add a further separate post I can contact you via a PM.

Cheers for now

Boy Scout

Offline Jack1002

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
Good morning
many thanks for taking the time to reply as you can appreciate it can be very difficult to trace family trees so very impressed at how good you are I tend to start and stop mainly because of work and family time but really want to help my mom with the search
look forward to hearing back soon
regards