Author Topic: Patrick and Mary Kelly Philadelphia PA  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick and Mary Kelly Philadelphia PA
« on: Monday 16 November 15 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to track down who the parents of Patrick and Mary Kelly were and when they both died - they were both born in Ireland (Patrick c1840 and Mary c1850) and emigrated separately to the US (Patrick apparently c1860 and Mary c1870).  They apparently married c1867/68 in the Philadelphia area but I haven't been able to find a marriage record.  In 1870 they were living in Haverford, Delaware Co with children Charles, Hugh and John J.  There is also a 25-year-old Alice Kelly who is likely the sister of either Patrick or Mary - it seems Mary's maiden name may also have been Kelly or her children just didn't know it as on several of their death certificates her maiden name is put down as Kelly.  I think this is them on the 1880 Census:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWJR-K5V

And the 1900:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M3W2-NS4

I can't find them on the 1910 so I think they may have died between 1900 and 1910.  I've found a death for a Mary Kelly on 6th Apr 1908 in Philadelphia who was buried at the Holy Cross Cemetery.  On the index I've seen there is no mention of her parents names though and I can't be sure it's her.  Also I've found a Patrick Kelly who died 2nd Jul 1909 and was buried at Holy Cross Cemetery but again no mention of parents names on the index (just that both his mother and father were Irish).  Could there be death notices/cemetery records that might shed more light/help me find out if it really was them?

It's always hard with Kellys as there are so many of them but any help to trace Patrick and Mary's deaths and find out who their parents were would be most appreciated.  Thanks. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick and Mary Kelly Philadelphia PA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any marriage records for the children?  That might be more revealing on Mary's maiden name, since they'd be giving the information directly.

It looks like the Philadelphia city directories have Patrick Kelly, motorman, at the same address as the 1900 census for 1901 & 1902.  The online availability of full directories seems to get spotty after that, so I couldn't find him for sure after that.  There are an awful lot of Patrick and Mary Kellys in those directories, so I agree that I'd hesitate to attach a death certificate to them without some other information to support it.  I've seen some inconsistent ages/dates of birth on death certificate, so don't rule out other possibilities on that basis. 

www.fultonhistory.com has the Philadelphia Inquirer from that era.  I recommend playing around with different searches. 

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the City Directory information shellyesq - that at least tells me he was still alive by 1902.  I completely agree on not attaching either of the death certificates without further proof - like you say there are so many Mary and Patrick Kellys around!  Some of their children's dates on their deaths are very inconsistent.

As far as their children are concerned on the 1900 census it states Mary has had 13 children of which 8 are still living.  I've managed to find 10 of those and know of marriages for 4 of them:

Their son Hugh married Mary Ann Burke in 1896 in Philadelphia but the index doesn't give any more information than that.

Their son James J Kelly married Lillian Abt but I haven't found their marriage - it would have been c1916-18.

Their daughter Alice married Edward Francis Dooley between 1900 and 1904 - again I've not found the marriage.

Their son Edward married a woman named Caroline between 1910 and his death in 1917 but again I haven't found the record.

Charles, Catherine and George all died single and the others I've not been able to trace yet.

I'll have a look at the fultonhistory link - thanks.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Their daughter Alice married Edward Francis Dooley between 1900 and 1904 - again I've not found the marriage.

Perhaps your Kelleys?
Edward and Katie Kelley are living in the same residence as Edward F. and Alice Dooley in 1910 in Philadelphia.
Edward F Dooley, age 29 - married 7 years
Alice Dooley, age 28 - married 7 years, mother of 4 children, 4 still alive

Edward Kelly, single, age 22, brother-in-law
Katie Kelly, single, age 25, sister-in-law

All were born in Pennsylvania; all of their parents were born in Ireland

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Yes it's them - I've already got this.  Edward and Katie were living with their sister Alice - Katie never married and went on to work as a nursery nurse.  It's true they were all born in PA and their parents in Ireland but it's getting further backwards to the parents of their parents that's the problem.

Thanks!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
As I was trying to find Patrick and Mary (after 1900), I noticed the marriage information for Edward and Alice, so I thought I would give it to you, since you estimated their marriage between 1900 and 1904.  I don't like to ignore little details that are found along the way in case some of them were not previously known. I am not familiar with Pennsylvania marriage records, but some marriage records include witnesses names, which could be helpful in finding your Patrick and Mary.

You most likely also have the birth of Edward's and Alice's daughter in 1905, which was in Philadelphia (so at least part of the family was living in Philadelphia in 1905).

With some searches, I've been lucky enough to find parents either living with family members, or living near them.  I've found a few of my own ancestors on census returns one or two pages away from their children's names.

The best of luck with your search.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa - yes I totally agree!  Never ignore any details as you just never know what clues you might find.  I wish I could find Edward and Alice's marriage but there's no sign of it.  I estimate it between 1900 and 1904 as Alice was on the 1900 census unmarried and her first daughter Alice Dooley was born on 15 Feb 1904. I have the details for all Edward and Alice's children.  I don't have quite so much on the other lines - still trying to find James J and Hugh Francis on the 1910 census.  I know they were still alive then as I have their deaths; Hugh died in 1925 and James in 1947.  Of the others Charles died in 1892, Edward in 1917, Cathinere "Katie" in 1947 and Alice in 1953 all in Philadelphia.  The ones I haven't managed to trace forward are John, Mary/Mamie and Francis.  I suspect 2 of them were alive past 1900 (John and Mary as they're on the 1900 census with the family) due to Mary reportedly having 8 living children at that time and I can account for the other 6.

Thanks again  :)