Author Topic: Andrew Mulholland - Lanark and Renfrew Scotland  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Em2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Mulholland - Lanark and Renfrew Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the replies and welcome!

The 1861 and 51 census info are indeed this family.  Their children are as follows:  Andrew -Jan 9 1848 John -June 22 1843 Isabella Oct 21 1845 William - March 26 1854 Marjory - Feb 23 1860 David - Sept 19 18 56 Thomas -1852 Mary 1842.  I have not investigated their deaths or marriages as yet with the exception of William (their son b 1854) who is my Great Granfather. 

I never thought to look for any diminutives of Marjory - Madge makes total sense as in this family there is a tendency to use diminutives - Sadie and Sally for Sarah, Peggy, Maggie, for Margaret, Chas, Charlie for Charles and Jack for John etc.  It helped keep the bearers of family names separated when speaking about them. 

So any ideas how to find them in Ireland?  Without a county it's going to be needle and haystack time.  I do know that right back to my G-Grandfather's generation they were either Presbyterians or Baptists.  I am aware of the split in Irish Mulhollands  of either being Protestant or Catholic. 

I'm thinking that they probably left around 1835-1840 as I believe their daughter Mary was born in 1842. 

So far in my family history, I've only had to deal with Scotland, Canada, Tasmania and the USA.  Ireland hasn't come up until now. 

I will head over to Scotland's People and order up the death certificates. 

Thank you so much for the leads. 

Em
Scotland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA
Anderson, Baillie, Beecroft, Duff, Godfrey, Lamond, Lang, Leitch, Millar, Mulholland, Ure, Weir and 220 other cool names.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Mulholland - Renfrew Scotland
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Mulholland died 8/8/1860 - although no age shown in index certificate shows he was aged 40, married, Agricultural Labourer, of Hamilton Road, Rutherglen and that he died of Phthisis Abdominalis.   Informant was William Mulholland, brother.   His parents are given as John Mulholland, farmer, deceased and Mary nee 'Reni' (sure it is not that but that is what it looks like), deceased.

Madge Mulholland died 7/6/1909 aged 90 of 9 Craig Street, Blantyre of Senile Decay.   Shown as widow of Andrew Mulholland, Coachman (??), dau. of Daniel Leitch, Fisherman, deceased and Catherine nee Kerr, deceased.  Informant son William Mulholland (who was living in Blantyre in 1901).

William Mulholland's death is indeed registered in 1920 Blantyre so don't know how you say you couldn't find on SP.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 13:37 GMT (UK) »

To actually clarify the 1881. census.

56 Stonelaw Street, Rutherglen.

David Mulholland, Head, Farm Servant, M. age 26 years, M. born Ritherglen,
Sarah, Mulholland, Wife, M. age 28 years, F. born Ireland,
Jane Mulholland, Daur, age 4 years, F. born Rutherglen,
Maggie Mulholland, Daur, age 1 years, F. born Rutherglen.

Then 56 Stonelaw Street, Rutherglen,

Marjory Mulholland, Head, Outdoor Worker, W. age 61 years, F. born Ireland.

This from the 1881 census disc, from Family Search.

However on Scotlandspeople, 1881 census all these Mulholland's, are in the same household.

So by that reckoning David Mulholland, on this census must surely be Marjory's, son David, born 1856. Rutherglen.

Regards,
Jonn

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Did a speculative search for the surname Mulholland in Rutherglen in the newspaper archive and found two articles you might be interested in Em.

Glasgow  Herald 6 June 1883 " Some time ago issues were ordered for the trial of an action at the instance of Marjory Leich or Mulholland residing at 56, Stonelaw Street' Rutherglen, against Glasgow Corporation. Pursuer claimed £500 damages because of injuries sustained by her through falling into an opening in the street roads made by defenders' servants with a view to repairing the gas pipes. The defences were that a watchman had been placed to guard the opening and that the damages claimed were excessive.
Counsel this morning informed the Lord Ordinary that the case had been settled by the defenders paying £65 and expenses." Page 10

Glasgow Herald 3 April 1873 "Yesterday, at the Sheriff Small Debt Court, Sheriff Spens presiding, Wm Mulholland, East Croft Lane, Rutherglen, sued James M'Corkindale, residing at 69 King Street, Rutherglen for £12 damages . The summons set forth that on the 28th December of last near Pollok's Land, King Street, Rutherglen, the defender maliciously assaulted the pursuer, and with a glass bottle struck him on the head, whereby he was severely injured and incapacitated from following his employment for upwards of seven weeks. After evidence of a somewhat contradictory character had been led, the Sheriff found that the pursuer had made out his case and decerned for the sum sued for and costs." Page 4

The Glasgow Herald is, I believe, on Google newspapers and so you should be able to see the originals if you wish.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Em2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you all so much for your time and energy. 

Annette, thank you for the maiden names, those are a huge help.  I'm not sure why SP isn't giving me William's death information.  I've tried several times using different search parameters.  Frustrating when you know the actual date and nothing is coming up.  I tried with and without Mother's maiden name, widened the time frame etc. I have noted that my cousin who is in Scotland can come up with search results where I am in NA and can't find the same info based on the same search criteria.  I put it down to country filters etc. 

If she died in 1909 that might explain why her son, William didn't come to Canada until 1910.  I found it odd that it was his sons that started arriving in 1903 and not him. 

Milmoor, thanks for the newspaper links. 

With respect to my Great grandfather, William I think I can narrow down the time he spent in Canada to 1910 to when the war broke out.  His sons, David, Charles, William and Thomas returned to the UK to join up. His son George remained in Canada and joined the CEF. 

His sons returned to Canada post war and we see them again in Cape Breton from about 1920 until the early 30s. 

The Mulhollands married into the Baillies - Sarah Baillie to William Mulholland. The Baillies are proving to be quite the family.  My Great Grandmother's sister married a Mormon and immigrated to Utah.  She and other family members are part of the Mormon Pioneers. 

My grandfather married a Lamond who is the granddaughter of a Beecroft/McNeil.  My 2nd great grandmother on that side is the widow of James Beecroft - killed in 1881 in a Blantyre Mine.  accident.  I have read the posts on that family on here. 

I'm off to search the Irish records for Andrew and Madge. Thanks again!!

Anderson, Baillie, Beecroft, Duff, Godfrey, Lamond, Lang, Leitch, Millar, Mulholland, Ure, Weir and 220 other cool names.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I have just done the search for the death of William Mulholland in 1920 and it worked fine. There is only one death in the county of Lanark and parish of  Blantyre for that name in that year. You should not have to put in age, year of birth or mother's maiden name. Sometimes less is more! ( Do make sure you have the sex right - I have made that error  more than once!)

Hope this  helps.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Em2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Millmoor, indeed it did work this time.  I must have clicked something that threw the search engine off. 

I've a quick look over on the Irish Gen site and found a few 1831 census results that might be the John and Mary Mulholland I'm looking for.  I also did a quick search for Andrew Mulholland's birth but came up empty.  So either I'm an absolute ditz with the search engines on gen sites or he was perhaps born in Scotland to Irish parents.  I have to consider that census info was never verified by the enumerator and the informant may not really know the ages, birth places etc.

I also noted that in another thread someone else was asking about the Rennies/Mulholland of Londonderry.  It was noted to the OP that Rainey is a very popular name in NI.  Interesting stuff.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Cannot help with Irish records as have had no need yet to use. Do you have the shipping record which shows that they  came back to Glasgow in May 1913? (from UK incoming passenger lists).

William

(My gg grandmother's sister was also a Mormon pioneer. From what I can gather coal mining areas of Scotland were quite fertile ground for "recruiting". Without my interest in family history I would have known nothing about it).

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 19:50 GMT (UK) »

Sarah Baillie Mulholland, died 1925, aged 68 years. Blantyre, Lanark.

Regards,
Jonn.