Author Topic: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?  (Read 101630 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 May 16 16:58 BST (UK) »
Regorian - you can have your DNA tested at Ancestry.com, wait till there's a sale and save some money.  Once you get the results, transfer the DNA results to Gedmatch.  That site has tools where you can find even very small amounts of South Asian DNA.  If you don't have any, you're still Romany because it's a culture as well as an ethnic group.  With Ancestry you're more likely to find more distant cousins than other sites.  Just be prepared to have a lot of them freak out at the mention of Romany Gypsy and stop talking to you.

The thing that puts me off Autosomal/admixture testing is that. 

It only tests a small part of your dna (as of course does the male only Y Haplo test)

You will have different results from your siblings, even though you share the exact same ancestors. That tells you something about how dna testing cannot tell you where your ancestors came from

All of us, alive today, migrated out of Africa, and then moved around the world. Europeans are made up of people who migrated here in waves of immigration across the south east/eastern borders of what we now know as "Europe"

Then there is the more recent migrations and settlements. The large extent of the Roman Empire for example and also the British Empire and others. When soldiers and sailors might have married someone from a far off place, or settled here from a far off place.

Not enough Europeans have taken the tests and the data base, for comparison purposes, is very very small?

I might be wrong here but it is not surprising that any "European" peoples results will show very small traces from say the middle east or north Africa, because these traces could be from thousands, or even tens of thousands, of years ago?. I think I read somewhere that the smaller the trace is, the further back in time it is? So a South Asian autosomal trace might not be Romany at all , it may be from way back before the Romany migrations into Europe (about c 1200 AD) even started. It might be from 1,000 BC  or even 10,000 BC ?
How far back do these small percentages, that you see in the results, go ?

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 July 16 07:18 BST (UK) »
Could some ASI on MDLP K13Ultimate indicate Romany ancestry?

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 July 16 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hurworth - I haven't checked out the MDLP tests yet. That's because I found the Eurogenes K-12B test works best for ME.  Depends on your parent's ethnic mix.  I have West European and East European, so that test works best for me.  I'll try to look at that test later, if you don't hear from me in a few weeks, you might have to remind me.  Sally Yorks - the Autosomal DNA is 95% of your DNA, so I don't consider that very small. Also with the Autosomal DNA tests, "trace" means any ethnicity under something like 5%.  But then you can look at your individual matches, and for me, I have 22 cM DNA with a Romany man in England, and that is no trace of DNA.  That's  4 to 6 generations back.  A match that is 7 cM long or longer, is from 1600 AD or sooner.  So there is a way find if the DNA is from the migration from India (that began 500-700 AD, but isn't completely known).  I'll come back later and write a longer response to your arguments.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 July 16 15:23 BST (UK) »
No problem. Hope you are tracing your ancestors to the extent that most of us can. I'm stuck at 1740. Not my fault, the entries are just not there. I still feel a failure.
And this is where DNA might come in useful. On my father's side I am stuck in 1776; possibly through illegitimacy. On my mother's side her father had the surname Ayres, which I am told is a gypsy surname. I, and the entire audience was also told at a Doncaster FHS open day by a senior man in the Romany FHS that the gypsies had originated in Afghanistan. Is this correct, or did people from South Asia settle in Afghanistan?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 July 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
We're Romany from Sussex and Kent, and we believe that Romanies come from Nepal. But they've travelled so far over so many years they've picked up Romania, northern Italy, France and many other areas....
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline EastbourneMish

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 July 16 19:35 BST (UK) »
rebekahm28 - there has always been much talk that my father's West Sussex family were Romany but despite researching for 20 years I've never found the hard evidence. I have a GedMatch id - can I share that with you?

Thanks

M.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 July 16 20:10 BST (UK) »
Yes can you private message me on here. Let me know their surnames too.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 December 16 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I've made some progress in expanding my Romany branch of my family tree!  Working with my one Romany DNA cousin (24 cM of DNA shared), we think I relate thru his great-grandmother Mary Jane Steaton. She was born in Bilston, Staff, in 1865.  Her parent was Sarah Steaton, who had a few brothers and sisters.  I also have made friends with a friendly English guy, who is related by marriage to these Steatons, a much bigger tree.  One of Sarah Steaton's sister's married a Kite.  I have another DNA match that is related thru the same Kites.  Just collecting names of families that my DNA matches have, I've been able to connect 3 of my Romany DNA matches' together - but as people who married each other!  No common ancestors so far.  The families are in Staffordshire and Warwickshire: Stanley, Jeffrey or Jeffries, Davis, Davies, Kite.  I'd like to know how families came to be allied - would it have been possible that there was intermarriage back in the 1700's, that kept the families together into the 1800's?  "Friendly English guy" has been a big help, but he wants RECORDS showing births, marriages, death...doesn't living in the same house count?!!! 
      Hope you all have a good holiday.  I'm hoping Santa brings me more ancestors and cousins.

Offline Koolmets21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Thought I would chime in. I'm a confirmed Romany descendent of the Campbell clan via Scotland. My ancestors settled in Virginia (or were convicted there, not sure) in the 1700s. This is all new to me but i feel like my family hid this from me because when i brought it up to my grandfather it was as if he knew all this. My haplogroup is H1a1- H-M82. When I do autosomal tests i do get trace % from Middle East, Caucasus, Greek/Mediterranean, Southern European, etc. Which i found odd because I always thought my Dad was German and Scottish. But now i believe these trace amounts are from his Romany background. I've posted my GEDmatch results here. My mom's side is 100% Ashkenazi Jewish dating back into the 1700s.

I just recently ordered the kit for FTDNA because I want to help as many people out with our unique background.

Sincerely, Robert Berkley Campbell