Author Topic: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?  (Read 102237 times)

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Romany DNA - what would you expect to see?
« Reply #81 on: Friday 20 April 18 00:38 BST (UK) »
Troublet: Are you Iberian or Liberian? Either could be giving you a dark complexion. Also have you checked your ethnic make-up on GEDmatch?  The Eurogenes K-13 test there will show "South Asian" if it is there.

Offline Asaerrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 12 May 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was just wondering if people of Romany decent get a lot of different results on all the DNA tests?

I always get about 10-25 percent of my results very questionable, where as the rest is always very similar. of the 10-25 percent i always get different results varying from this list...

West Asia
India
Ashkenazi jew
Eastern Europe
Iberian
Azerbaijan jew
south russia
or they can't place it anywhere

I don't know my dads side, but I'm very white... was just wondering if anyone thinks i should look into possible Romany connections???

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 12 May 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
Yes they do get different results. Not all Romany or Romany descent people have South Asian DNA.  They all did when they left India, but it got watered down on their trek to Europe and in Europe as well.  I recently found a 4th cousin of my on the side of my Romany 3g grandparents,  we don't share any DNA, and he doesn't have 'South Asian' DNA either.  And he's still a dark skinned man. 

Offline Chris88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 19 May 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
My nan was from Romany traveling people in the Hereford,Shrewsbury and Shropshire area she would tell me story's of her people and teach me some romaness but said not to say anything to my family as Thier not interested in my life she said, some of my family have also said we come from travellers but most of my family say it's a lie and call me a liar saying my nan never said the things said to me and have made me feel like a laughing stock to people which made me feel angry and silly at the same time so I stopped talking about it and done my ancestry DNA  and I clicked on the south Asian even though it didn't show but when I clicked it it showed a percentage of me to native south Asians compering Me to them picking up traces of south Asia, sorry for the long message I got a bit carried away. Theses are my ancestry DNA results what do you think? Do they look like a typical English Romany's DNA? My mother's side are Irish hence the 57%

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 19 May 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Not all Romany's show Asia South anymore.  2 Romanies with a low percentage of Asia South could have kids and the kids could be Zero.  My 2nd cousin says her parents taught her some Romany words when she was little, but also not to tell anyone.  I believe you!!  Write down everything you can remember, then got to the http://rtfhs.org.uk/ website and enter their discussions, they will know the answer. 

Offline Kane Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 24 May 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi I have little paper trail but have stories of ''gypsy'' no one said Romany or Irish and gaps where I don't even know the relation. This happened with my granddad down my dads side and great granddad down my mums side. Thanks any reply appreciated.

Offline Kane Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 24 May 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
This is another chart from Gedmatch thru HarappaWorld. Thanks

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 24 May 18 15:59 BST (UK) »
A really good source is the Romany&Traveler site: rtfhs.org.uk:  there are lots of articles you can read.  There's one about what to look for in censuses and old records to identify if your ancestors were in the Romany community. Like occupation, family names, children's names, where they were living, who their neighbors were.  I would add having DNA matches to people currently in the Romany community. My ancestor WIlliam Riley 1st shows up at his 1st marriage, he is a shoemaker.  His 2nd wife Elizabeth, my ancestor, her son Henry worked in the mines as a "Puldler'.  One of his grandchildren was named Cinderella.  He sometimes had young men with the surnames Price and Stanley boarding with them.

Offline Kane Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 24 May 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for replying. My 3 xgreat granddad (father of my grandma fathers side as don't know fathers side) was a basket maker as was his son and then his son (my great granddad) was a stone mason. But Im sure plenty of non traveller did this too. I also saw a shoe maker it had a fancy name I forget but the description was maker of finely crafted luxury footwear lol. Then I had a green grocer. But they had addresses on the census. Except the 2 x great granddad moved from london to sunderland to halifax but maybe means nothing. Their surname is walker. The south Asian side all comes from my mum but we haven't a detailed history of my mums mothers side. Just haplogroup H. My mums dad side I dont think there is any traveller connection anyway. So its either from my mums mother or my dads mother and father.