Author Topic: Convict records for those transported to Australia  (Read 8853 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convict records for those transported to Australia
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 November 15 00:43 GMT (UK) »
James Taylor age 28

received aboard Justitia moored at Woolwich  28 Mar 1839
Convicted at Salford 25 Feb 1839

That leaves over four weeks between conviction and arrival on the hulk.

Transportation of prisoners was not always rapid in the first half of the 19th century and there probably would have been stops at other prisons on the way to Woolwich.  Any stops would have been recorded.
Very good point ScobieDrom & thank you

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 November 15 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I've found another James Taylor occupation Baker his wife Mary Ann from Liverpool Lancashire in a baptism
 Flora McDonald Taylor daughter of of James & Mary Ann Taylor, baker of Key Street
bapt: 17 Apr 1836 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire
Baptisms 1835 - 1836, Page 380, Entry 3034
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 November 15 02:04 GMT (UK) »
St Mary Church Manchester

New Bailey st (Salford) continues as Bridge st after it crosses the river Irwell to Deansgate at St Mary's church on Mulberry st Manchester (about 1/4 mile apart)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 November 15 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Dobfarm

To put it simply - you are a treasure!!! Thank you so much.  I have to go out again to pick up my grandson but will get back to the posts very soon....

Westy

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 19 November 15 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I've found another James Taylor occupation Baker his wife Mary Ann from Liverpool Lancashire in a baptism
 Flora McDonald Taylor daughter of of James & Mary Ann Taylor, baker of Key Street

Looked for Flora in the 1841 census without success.  This could be the reason; from FreeBMD:

Deaths Sep 1839, Taylor Flora, Manchester District, Volume 20, Page 538.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 November 15 11:52 GMT (UK) »

Looked for Flora in the 1841 census without success.  This could be the reason; from FreeBMD:

Deaths Sep 1839, Taylor Flora, Manchester District, Volume 20, Page 538.

(Speculation)  I'm wondering if Mary Ann Taylor (marriage date & maiden name unknown) died in child birth 1836 and then James remarried to Jane Dobson St Mary's Manchester

http://www.ukbmdsearch.org.uk/

TAYLOR Flora 1839  Market Street Manchester , registers held at Manchester Central
Library Archives

Market st  (Manchester) is continued from St Mary's gate  (road/street) off Brackfriers bridge next river bridge down from New Bailey bridge (Deansgate)

There was a series of burglary's around Dec 1838 and Jan 1839  in Aston under Lyne, Oldham and Manchester area by 3 thieves, a James Taylor being one of them. Again speculation, but could James Taylor have been bailed on the Rochdale theft in June 1838  and this Aston under Lyne James Taylor was the same person. The Aston under Lyne burglar James Taylor was put down as a roamer saying his wife and children were staving, was the reason for him turning to thieving being his first offence.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 19 November 15 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dobby

Could well be as I have seen a record that noted James had offended previously.  I have tried to locate the family in the 1841 census without success not that that means they aren't there but probably more to do with skills.... ;D

Westy

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 November 15 15:36 GMT (UK) »
James's marriage register/certificate in Australia may give his fathers name or both parents

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 19 November 15 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Morning Dobby

No unfortunately his parents weren't given nor on his death certificate.  :(

I haven't been able to find the family in the census records, [which isn't to say they aren't there] & will try for the workhouse today.

Westy