Author Topic: Samuel Carson, wine and spirit merchant, Oxford  (Read 797 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Samuel Carson, wine and spirit merchant, Oxford
« on: Thursday 19 November 15 16:11 GMT (UK) »
It has been established that Samuel Carson was a wine and spirit merchant in Oxford as early as 1794 as per an online directory of people in Oxford in 1794. He is listed as wine merchant and also as past Chamberlain.
My question is when did he acquire this business?From whom? Or did he establish it himself? Would there be references to this in Jackson's Journal which I do not have. I am looking for a family link to his acquisition of this business.
Samuel Carson was in Oxford as early as 1782 when he is a witness for a minor court case, although we don't see him listed in the Oxford directory in 1783, although I know it can be several years behind. In 1786, he became a Freeman of the City so must have been established there before then in a business position. In 1789, on 14 September,  Samuel Carson as chosen as the Child for Mayor William Thorp. I don't know the responsibilities of a child.
Although Samuel died in 1810, he is listed in the Oxford directory in 1816 which shows the directory can be behind in years.
Hoping Jackson's can help with this problem
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Carson, wine and spirit merchant, Oxford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 15 16:21 GMT (UK) »
John Etty is listed as a wine merchant in 1783 and Samuel Carson in 1794. I wonder if this is one possibility of how Samuel acquired the business.
Peggy

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper adverts show him commencing as a wine merchant in 1780, from his house near St Ebbs church.
For five years previously he had “superintended” the business for Messrs Drought and Son who had given up business.
In 1788 he moved the business to a property in Old Butchers Row, opposite the Post Office.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 15 00:18 GMT (UK) »
This is so exciting.  To be sure I understand, Samuel took over the business from Messrs Drought and Son from 1775-1780, and then in 1780, he changed the same business over to become a wine merchant under his own name. 
Are there any newspaper adverts announcing Samuel's marriage to Mary? Her maiden name was possibly Butcher and they were married before 1782. I really don't know where the marriage took place but if she is Mary Butcher, possibly in Oxford.
thank you so very, very much for this information.
Peggy