Author Topic: John Harris married Mary Anne (Marian) Clarke on 27th July 1808 in Burbage Leics  (Read 651 times)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Anne (or Marian) Clarke was the daughter of wealthy landowner Thomas Clarke (1759-1834) and Sarah Spires (c1768-c1814).
We know that she married a John Harris on 27th July 1808 - "John Harris – bachelor - aged 33 of Hinckley marries Mary Ann Clarke – spinster- aged 21 of Burbage"
John was a hosier and probably had prospects for Mary Anne's father to allow the marriage.
Family records state that Mary Anne Harris died on 9th March 1835; we don't know where and I haven't found a supporting record.
We don't know what became of John Harris. Did the couple move when the hosiery industry faced problems.?
They had a daughter, Sophia Clarke Harris (1809-1874) and a son Thomas Joseph Clarke Harris (1811-1839), who we have managed to trace.
Any information about John Harris and his wife Mary Ann(e) would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Harris married Mary Anne (Marian) Clarke on 27th July 1808 in Burbage Leics
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 15 21:10 GMT (UK) »
where were the children born & if married where did Sophia marry as this was usually the brides parish. would this help?

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Harris married Mary Anne (Marian) Clarke on 27th July 1808 in Burbage Leics
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 November 15 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Diddy,
"On Thursday the 21st (July 1831) at Sharnford, Mr John Smith Crosland of Burbage to Miss Harris, granddaughter of Thomas Clarke, gent of The Shade, Sharnford." - Leicester Journal 29th July 1831
Name:    Sophia Harris
Event Type:    Baptism
Father:    John Harris
Mother:    Mary Ann Harris
Baptism Date:    3 Jun 1809
Baptism Place:    Hinckley, Leicestershire, England
Denomination:    Presbyterian
Name:    Thomas Joseph Clarke Harris
Birth Date:    26 Oct 1811
Event Type:    Baptism
Parents - I believe it says "son of Jno & Mary Ann Harris" as the Jno is difficult to read.
Baptism Date:    8 Oct 1817
Baptism Place:    Hinckley, Leicestershire, England
Denomination:    Presbyterian
In some family notes, I have seen John L Harris, but I've yet to see any official records with L as a middle initial.
Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown