Author Topic: Search for Ancestors (Staunton)  (Read 3189 times)

Offline shannnons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Search for Ancestors (Staunton)
« on: Friday 20 November 15 01:41 GMT (UK) »
possibly Staunton | Stanton | McEvilly

Well here's the fun...

I have done allot of reading and digesting but i can't seem to tackle the issue of finding anything about my 5th great great grandfather (Name, location, children all unknown). I understand the great fire and also lack of records... but but but...

Next concern, my best lead, my 4th great great grandfather, his convict history shows him as a gamekeeper, where as below as you can read, it was believed that he can from a well off family... not so probable.

Patrick Staunton http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Staunton-166 born abt 1767 makes it hard for any records, sister Sarah, and married abt 1810 to Catherine Mulhare. Convict 1820 to Australia and died 1867 (My linage http://www.wikitree.com/treewidget/Staunton-177/4)

Some background

http://www.geocities.ws/dilli63/Staunton.rtf had made it fairly easy start.

I am hoping to connect Patrick Staunton to the Staunton's of England, but with no parents or location of birth i am quite lost. Even gravestones seem to lead to just a surname without initials or dates.

"There were 80 carriages at the wedding. The Staunton family had a very eminent history including Hervey de Stanton (or Staunton) (1260 – November 1327) Chancellor of the Exchequer in England - back to Sir Malgar de Staunton, the founder of the family, who fought William the Conqueror. George Staunton, was the first Staunton to go to Ireland in 1634, of Smewens Grange, Buckinghamshire. "

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/staunton/77/
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.larkin/488.3/mb.ashx

But i cannot find any details about the wedding either. I would have though it would have been an easy start if it was so big.

From English side, http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/staunton1911/staunton1.htm does not explain an Ireland connection cleanly as the displayed family tree is very narrow.

More info from a relative (but no supporting documents)

(This history was compiled for their family by D A Larkin (1983) on the encouragement of S G Larkin (1909-88).)

Re Ribbon Men: my ancestor Peter Larkin b.1789- d.1879, probably in Gort, Ireland, died in Australia, was a Ribbon Man. He was well-off and well educated. The branch of Ribbonmen that they belonged to was called Hearts of Steel.

My ancestor, Peter Larkin married Bridget Cunningham. Sir Thomas Burke, of Marble Hill, invited disaffected Ribbonmen to his estate - Slieve Aughtey area and the Cunninghams were dairying at Derrybrien. You might be familiar with these areas.

Perhaps Peter Larkin was influenced to become a Ribbonman by his wife, Bridget. At any rate we know she was a feisty woman because after his arrest she walked to Dublin to plead with the Viceroy, whom she knew personally, for his life. Their eldest daughter, Catherine (1818-1865), married Patrick Staunton's son Patrick (1811-1870, which is where the Stauntons come into our family.

Patrick Staunton was from Ballinasloe to the north-east near the border of Kings county," but distance was no obstacle to them as they went to any lengths for their cause". Before his arrest Staunton crossed into Tipperary at Lough Derg and back up past Lorrha and into Kings county before crossing the Shannon near Ballinasloe before being arrested. This appears to have been a common route for escapes

In June 1820, a concerted effort was made to capture the Ribbon Captains, Goode, Staunton, Concannon, Connoly and White leaders of their band of insurgents. On June 25th 1820 Captain Patrick Staunton was apprehended by the police, Mr Waters being the Chief Constable. Patrick was found hiding under the slats in the roo of a respectable farmhouse on the 9th October 1820, Patrick who was not indicted on the capital charge but was the constant companion of Captain Michael Goode of Confert, along with Peter Larking, who had been sentenced to death, were removed from Galway Goal.

In another section: Patrick Staunton Sr came from a very substantial family, his wedding being one of the largest seen in east Galway with 80 carriages at his wedding (my grandmother ne Staunton, also told me this). His ancestors were English Norman gentry in Ireland since 1232, with later emigration of English settled at Claddagh in 1634. The later Stauntons were mainly Protestant Ascendancy but during penal times they became Catholic or were patriotic to their cause. The family were not without influence in Ireland, but this did not prevent Patrick from being deported to Australia.

----------

Very open to any thoughts

I cant attach the progress i have made via Ancestry, however I have done some legwork in WikiTree (Patrick Staunton http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Staunton-166)

Thank you anyone reading this for the time and interest to do so :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Search for Ancestors (Staunton)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 November 15 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat shannons.
Just a few niggleing things.
Patrick Staunton born Clonfert Galway
Sarah Staunton born Connaught Bridge Kildare (Newtown near Naas not Kilcock btw)
Galway and Kildare are opposite sides of the country why do you think they are brother and sister?

Why do you think Patrick Staunton Clonfert is the same man as Patrick Staunton the gamekeeper?

I think you need to go back to the gamekeeper and tell us what proven information you have on him, and don't get caught up with general Staunton histories for the moment.

Not many records exist from pre 1800 so it may not be possible to find anything more.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 November 15 13:34 GMT (UK) »
You might find stuff like this..

Marriage Agreement...  25 May 1752 Patrick Wemys gave £1500 and a further £300 to James Staunton Jr, Dublin (Groom) Son of  James Staunton Sr, Galway,  and heir apparent for the Jointure and Provision of Harriot Wemys  sister of Patrick Weyms of Danes Fort, Co. Kilkenny should she survive him. List of Properties in Co. Galway

Only posting as it links Galway and Dublin

----------------------------------------------------

Four copies of grant by Adam de Staunton to Thomas de Sarsfield of lands at Deginocacherin and areas adjoining Rathcooney, Glanmire and Killaspugmullane, Co. Cork; no date, probably of Edward

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, D. 25,225

--------------------------------------------------------

Documents relating to estate of Philip Sarsfield, including conveyances of property in Cork City, assignments to him of rents out of Sarsfield court by Walter de Staunton, copy of his will with probate; 1506-38

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, D. 25,246-52

Don't know if any of the above will give you any clues to yours!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 November 15 13:52 GMT (UK) »
IF the Stauntons were yours...

Documents relating to estate transactions between the Sarsfield family and the Earls of Barrymore; relating to Sarsfield Court, Glanmire and other lands in the Barony of Barrymore, Co. Cork; includes leases, bonds, receipts, correspondence; c. 1576-1750 

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, D. 25,296-324

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 November 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Pedigree of Staunton of Smeunas and Stockgrove in Co. Bucks., of Oldbury and Cargine in Co. Galway and of the Isle of Grenada, West Indies, c.1634 -- c.1792

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms. 112, pp. 60-1

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 November 15 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Clan Mac Evilly (Stauntons)!!

Castle Bourke formerly Kilboynell Castle in Carra Barony, County Mayo, with notes on the history of its ancient owner the Clan Mac Evilly (Stauntons) and on the history of the family of Bourke, Viscounts Mayo.

At the NLI:
Call number: Ir 794105 g 1

------------------------------------------------

Offline shannnons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 November 15 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark, I'll add some of these new ones to my 'hmmm' list.
I cant go any deeper than Patrick for the moment as I can't confirm he is from that line :(

But some new info :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 November 15 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark, I'll add some of these new ones to my 'hmmm' list.
I cant go any deeper than Patrick for the moment as I can't confirm he is from that line :(

But some new info :)

Well if you don't look you won't know and they aren't expensive!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 November 15 09:56 GMT (UK) »