Author Topic: Still Searching For My Great Grandmother Sarah Morrisroe's Birth Place and Year.  (Read 1794 times)

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

:(    :(

Hello all

Could anyone please help/advise me in finding the birth place and birth year for my great grandmother Sarah Morrisroe.  I believe she was born in the year range 1820 until 1845'ish.  So far I have drawn an absolute blank!!!

Sarah married Michael McDonagh born 1831 possibly in Ballinafad.  Sarah definitely had a brother Bartholomew (Batty) Morrisroe born 1836 and he married Mary Ann Crofton and their children were my grandfather's cousins.

Have found the following in Brougher  in the 1800's, Ellen Morrisroe born 1820, Michael born 1821,  Charles born 1843, John born 1844 and a Patrick no year of birth for him but he was a Shopkeeper in Ballinafad.

I am wondering if any of the above could have been her brothers or sister?

Any help and advice on this request would be very gratefully received.

Thank you very much in anticipation.

Kind regards.

Liz

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Still Searching For My Great Grandmother Sarah Morrisroe's Birth Place and Year.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 November 15 12:11 GMT (UK) »
You need to find Sarah and/or Battys marriages first? A record of either marriage should give their father's name at least.

Have you got baptism records for any of Sarah or Battys children? There maybe a clue in one of them.

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Still Searching For My Great Grandmother Sarah Morrisroe's Birth Place and Year.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 November 15 16:01 GMT (UK) »

Hello Sinann

Thank you for posting.

Unfortunately I have no birth certificates for anyone.  I picked up on some information which was posted by a relative a good while ago so I know that is correct.  I rely on the Free Family Search Site for my information as unfortunately I do not consider myself confident enough to use the Pay to View Sites.

I have however been reading the Sligo Board and saw someone researching "Morrisons" in Sligo so am taking a look at that variant of the surname.  I have tried Morris, Morrisrow and various other spellings of the name. At present I am looking at Riverstown in the Parish of Tawnagh which is looking promising.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards.

Liz 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 November 15 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Are these Batty's children
Ellen 1868
Bart 1870
Patrick 1872
Edward 1877

If their baptisms can be found it might be possible to find Batty's marriage.

If these are the correct children their births appear to be registered in the Boyle district.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gj5/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 November 15 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Think I found Edward in Drumrat Parish
Would you agree?
4 Oct 1877
On the left
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632325#page/35/mode/1up

Need to figure out the townland.
And check for the others.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 November 15 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Typical all the other years are missing.

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 12:54 GMT (UK) »

Hello Sinnan and Hallmark

Thank you both very much for the information you have posted and which I have been studying.  It is very much appreciated.  I will take a good look at the Websites you have supplied Hallmark.

Yes Sinnan, the four children Ellen, Batty, Patrick and Edward were the children of Bartholomew (Batty) Morrisroe born1836 and Mary Ann Crofton who were married in 1862.  They were RC and their Townland was Brougher/Ballinafad. 

They had eight children altogether, James b1863, Eliza Maria b1865, Ellen b1868, Batty b1870, John b1871, Patrick b1872, Dominic b1875 and Edward b1877.

I have found nothing else on Ellen, Patrick and Dominic and so wondered if they died young but all the other children came to England except for Edward who stayed in Brougher/Ballinafad all his life.

I know Bartholomew Snr b1836 came to England as he is on the 1881 as a Boarder in Wharncliffe Side, Sheffield and he worked at the Paper Mill in Oughtibridge.  One by one his children joined him and my grandfather John Patrick McDonagh Batty's nephew, came to England in 1891 with his two cousins John and Batty. 

Batty Morrisroe Snr b1836 had a sister Sarah who married Michael McDonagh b1832 and they had Mary b1860, John Patrick b1861, Anne b1865, Sarah b1866 and perhaps Kate who may have died young?  They were Farmers in Derrygolagh/Ballinafad.

Batty Snr b1836 returned to Ireland when he was 65 and is on the 1901 Census living back in Brougher with his wife Mary Ann and son Edward.  I believe the Parish was then Drumrat.

I am still trying to confirm the actual birth year/Townland for my great grandmother Sarah Morrisroe and connect her to other siblings other than Bartholomew b1836.  As you mention some records are there and some are not.   

However, I am very grateful to you both for your help.

Kind regards.

Liz

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 13:42 GMT (UK) »
It's a bit of work!! Plenty of McDonaghs buried Ballinafad.

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/sligo/photos/tombstones/sligo-aghanagh-rc/index.html is the g/yard but have only taken a few photos there!

There is a Patrick here.. 

http://search.freefind.com/find.html?si=13812782&pid=r&n=0&_charset_=UTF-8&bcd=%C3%B7&query=Morrisroe&s=sligostones

but doesn't fit timeframe!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.