Author Topic: Samuel Loxton and family Shepton Mallet  (Read 908 times)

Offline GreyCottage

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Loxton and family Shepton Mallet
« on: Saturday 21 November 15 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have come up against a brick wall. I have all the information from the sources I have but are missing some births, deaths and marriages and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
What I do know is Cornelius Loxton was born in Shepton Mallet 26 Apr 1808 and transported to Van Diemen's Land in 1830. His parents are Samuel and Elizabeth(Betty)Loxton. They had 3 other children Nehemia 1804, James 1806 and Martha 1810. From what I can work out all died quite young or before they could start their own families, apart from Cornelius.
My problem is I cannot put my finger on which Samuel is Cornelius' father. I can find no Samuel born around 1778 which is when past family genealogists had him as being born, also the only marriage for a Samuel and Elizabeth(Betty) is well after the children are born in 1818 at St.Peter and Pauls in Shepton Mallet, where all family events seemed to happen. Also on Freegen2 it says in the transcripts that he was a widower, but cannot find another marriage.
Unless the other Samuel Loxton c 1764 I have found who married Mary Miles in 1833 and is mentioned in the 1841 census, is one and the same or his father.
I believe this Samuel may have been married to Susannah Evans in 1785 whom I cannot find a death registered for. They had 6 children that I can find one called Samuel 1785, George 1788, James 1790-1790, James 1791, Mary Maria 1793, Martha 1797, there are 2 Martha Loxton listed as dying as toddlers, I think she may be one of them.
When Martha Loxton born 1810 died in 1826, (it says aged 17) her abode is listed as Garston Street. And when Samuel Loxton c1764 died in 1848 aged 84 years his abode is Gaston Street as is a Mary Loxton in 1843. Maybe she was living with her grandfather and step-grandmother, or father and stepmother I cannot find death notices for Samuel or Betty and they are not in the 1841 census, unless they moved and they did not seem to go anywhere; so unlikely.
Thank-you for taking the time to read this and I hope you are not too confused. Any ideas I would love to hear them.
GreyCottage, Australia

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Loxton and family Shepton Mallet
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 November 15 14:57 GMT (UK) »
The Samuel Loston (Loxton) born c 1766 is a Navy Pensioner so may jhve Married Elizabeth (Betty) anywhere he was stationed.
That is if the he is the one who married Susannah/Betty and then Mary.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 November 15 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Burial;
BETTY Laxton, 13 December 1828, St Peter and Paul, Shepton Mallet
Age 50, abode Kilver Street
(Birth c 1778)

Nehemiahs 1828 Burial has abode as Kilver St also

It is possible Samuel c 1766 married 3 times, and once out of County.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline GreyCottage

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 November 15 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Dear Trish 1120,
 Thank-you so much for discovering Betty's year of death and abode, definitely a big piece of my puzzle solved.

Regards GreyCottage
in Australia