Author Topic: Dockyard Workers - What are "Ds", "Ns" and "Ts"?  (Read 3989 times)

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dockyard Workers - What are "Ds", "Ns" and "Ts"?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 November 15 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you thought about contacting Devonport Naval Heritage Centre
there is a couple of email addresses here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gkr/http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gkr/

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 November 15 10:32 GMT (UK) »
In the Michaelmas Quarter my man had 78 Ds, 82 Ns and 62 Ts.   Several men have half and three quarter Ds and Ns.   

In the Christmas Quarter my man has 78 Ds, 77 Ns and 63 Ts.   One man has 78 Ds, 78 1/2 Ns and 129 Ts.

In both the Michaelmas and Christmas Quarters the men all received different wages, so the rates must have differed according to the number of Ds, Ns and Ts they worked.

We don't seem to have agreed what units the numbers represent.  Accepting they are quarterly, and there are about 91 days in a quarter (78 days would be 13  6-day weeks), they appear to represent 'days' which qualify for three rates of pay.  The 129 Ts present a problem, unless that man had something held over from an earlier quarter, or was doing additional work for another?

(later)  I've tried to make sense of the five records in the OP's earlier post, but can't draw any solid conclusions except that these quarterly amounts must be 'bonuses' or allowances or expenses of some sort, as (a) I don't think anyone's full pay then was as infrequent as that and (b) £40 a year is not a professional rate of pay.

The first two records shown suggest that one D was worth the same as one N, somewhere about a shilling.  Comparing those with the last record suggests that one T was worth a lot less, about four pence; but using these figures in the other records doesn't add up, so the five men must have been paid different rates.  I can only guess that the men took on extra duties such as supervision or training, and claimed at each quarter-end.

One afterthought - the British Navy was pretty busy about this time, after the Battle of the Nile in 1798 (I think), and this dockyard would have been too.  Is this some sort of overtime record?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 November 15 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to the confusion  ;D I notice it also says "Board" in the Wages column. Does this mean they received Board as well as wages? If so it might explain the relatively low wages, assuming these were mostly skilled or semi-skilled men as they surely would be if working in a Navy dockyard ???

Expert knowledge is required here . . .

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 November 15 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I interpreted that column as the admiralty board standard rate of pay as it is a standard admiralty book used for making quarterly returns.

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 November 15 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Surely a lot of the work in a dockyard would be repairs, caulking seams and splicing ropes, not exactly a skilled job.

Mike

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 November 15 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Surely a lot of the work in a dockyard would be repairs, caulking seams and splicing ropes, not exactly a skilled job.

I'm not sure dockyard workers would agree with you there ....  :(  I'd go along with the Admiralty Board though.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 November 15 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Not sure I'd want to sail the seas in a ship repaired by unskilled labour . . .  :o

Happy to accept admiralty board, I'm certainly no expert even though many of my ancestors were shipbuilders around that time. Merchant vessels, not Navy, though. I even have some tools belonging to one of them, which definitely require much skill in use

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 November 15 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I am sure that the workers were experienced and consciensus but I was using the word skilled to mean apprentice trained and paid a wage, rather than an hourly rate.

Mike

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 November 15 21:18 GMT (UK) »

Mike
You would not want to spoil the ship for a happorth of tar, would you?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich