Author Topic: Brickwalls  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Elwyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwalls
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 November 15 20:52 GMT (UK) »
My George Thompson died 28/03/1961 at Pioneer Terrace Cwmfelinfach aged 81 and was cremated at Caerleon Cemetary .
The 1939 register entry looks correct - wonder if it will help ?
Elwyn

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 November 15 21:11 GMT (UK) »
My George Thompson died 28/03/1961 at Pioneer Terrace Cwmfelinfach aged 81 and was cremated at Caerleon Cemetary .
The 1939 register entry looks correct - wonder if it will help ?
Elwyn

It might do, as it would tell you his date of birth and occupation. If the date of birth was the same as George Northover ie 14/10/1879, then I think we could say without any doubt that they are one and the same person. It won't tell you the two people that are living with him though, as unless you can prove they are dead, they can't be opened.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 November 15 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Been following this topic with interest as we have a family group with a changed name  ::)....

None of the George Thompsons in the 1939 have a DOB of 14/10/1879 :(

Edited to add: there were only 5 Georges on the 1939 register with a DOB of 14/10/1879.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 November 15 06:59 GMT (UK) »

None of the George Thompsons in the 1939 have a DOB of 14/10/1879 :(

Edited to add: there were only 5 Georges on the 1939 register with a DOB of 14/10/1879.

1939 Register search

If you

DON'T enter the birthdate (14) and
ONLY enter month (10)
ONLY enter year (1879) then choose
county Monmouthshire the only
George Thompson that shows up in the search is

George Thompson 1879  Mynyddislwyn U.D Monmouthsshire

Offline Elwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 November 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
The George Thompson b.1879 at Mynydislwyn is almost certainly our George ! and if the register had recorded his place of birth, then that would have been a major breakthrough.
Speculation, I wonder if our George Thompson is the biological son of Henry Thompson [sailor ?]and unknown female ! but raised by Henry Northover as their own child for some reason, {is there a place for unmarried mothers in Bridport ? ] Common occurance then and now !
If George Thompson was really George Northover !  there are a few co-incidences :-
1. Violet, Ivy,Lily were Emily & George Thompsons daughters.
2. Violet was George Northovers sister.
3. 1901 Census, George Northover is a boarder with the TOMPKIN family as a Gardner Domestic !
    Could this be where Thompson name came from ? 
 Elwyn

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 23 November 15 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you seem very reluctant to accept what most people are suggesting. That is, that George Thompson began life as George Northover and kept that name until at least 1911. Then for some unknown reason he changed his name to Thompson. I think you are over complicating it. You have the birth certificate for George Northover, therefore he can't have been born to Henry Thompson and an unknown woman!

As I see it, there are too many coincidences for it not to be one and the same person, the only thing left to solve is why he changed his name, and that may be something you'll never know.

Offline Elwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 23 November 15 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that you are probably right, - My cousin Pam Webley {A direct decendant of George Thompson 1880-1961 is of the same mind set ! My research is aimed at proving the "right" lineage in my Family Tree, anyway many thanks to all members for their input and comments.
Elwyn