Author Topic: burial records Bridgetown  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: burial records Bridgetown
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 November 15 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I have never heard of burial records for any of the rural Catholic cemeteries. Not one.

I came across deaths (not burials) listed in a parish register just the other day when answering a query. A local Catholic church near me doesn't have burials in a register but they do have a sexton's notebook and I do know that a local woman kept her own list of burials there which covered a span of maybe 50 years or so.

Deaths are not the same as burials - the OP is well aware of the death! Neither of the examples you give is the same as a formal burial register, which exist (or should exist) for council established graveyards, and also a limited number of  CofI graveyards.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: burial records Bridgetown
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 November 15 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I am well aware of the difference between deaths and burials. However, Hallmark and I were just pointing out that sometimes there are deaths recorded in registers. Logically, it would be likely that if a priest kept a note of deaths that he was recording details of parishioners and that they might indeed be buried in the graveyard of his church.

The sexton's record and private journal I mentioned do record all the burials in that particular graveyard for the period covered so would show those buried even if no headstone exists.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!