Author Topic: Walter and Alfred Sells of Tunbridge Wells  (Read 719 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter and Alfred Sells of Tunbridge Wells
« on: Sunday 22 November 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
 I would appreciate some assistance regarding the brothers Walter and Alfred Sells.

Walter, Alfred, and Robert James Sells were the sons of Robert Sells (1817-1899) and Sophia Sells nee Willard (1811-1898). I have all the information I need for Robert and his wife Sophia and their son Robert James but the sons Walter and Alfred have proven to be difficult.

Walter was born 1848 at Dover.Kent. He was living with his parents and siblings at Wingham,Kent at the time of the 1851 and 1861 census. His brother Alfred, born 1850 Wingham,Kent was also with is parents etc in the 1851 and 1861 census.

Walter disappears after the 1861 census as does Alfred. Cant find either of them in 1871 and cant find any records at all for Walter after 1861.

There is a 1881 census for Alfred as a lodger at Cricklade St Mary,Wilthire where he is single and working as a watchmaker & dealer. I found a death registration for Alfred Sells born 1850 died 2nd qtr 1885 Tunbridge Wells but no probate for him. Don't know if he ever married.

If anyone can fill in the gaps of the lives of Walter and Alfred I would be very grateful.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Walter and Alfred Sells of Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 15 13:18 GMT (UK) »
There's this death

WALTER  SELLS
Death 1864  4th quarter
Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Volume   2A  Page   283
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter and Alfred Sells of Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 15 16:40 GMT (UK) »
If Alfred married it would have to be between 1881 and 1885 so the likelihood is he remained single.  No obvious marriage for him between those dates.

He should be around in 1871 somewhere to complete the picture.  Will have a look.

Nope drawing a blank with 1871 I'm afraid  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos