Author Topic: Nun Hunting!!  (Read 1094 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Nun Hunting!!
« on: Sunday 22 November 15 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi!! So, while searching newspapers on Friday in the local library online - I searched for the townsland my grandparents came from and up pops the attached article. Was published in September 1937 & is about a gran-aunt of mine. I believe it to be Sr. Mary Anselm Ryan but the Mary I know married in 1939 and had two children.

Would anyone know where I can find more information about the article, as I have searched the internet and nothing has come up for me.

Thanks in advance
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nun Hunting!!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 15 16:12 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gjj/

First link includes info on founding of the convent at Holme Hall and their missionary work.

http://www.familytreemagazine.com/article/Flying-Irish-Nuns

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 15 16:14 GMT (UK) »
The Mary part of her name in religion might have nothing to do with her actual name ie most nuns took/take a name that may or may not have any connection to their actual name.
Could she be a sister to the Mary Ryan you are aware of?
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 November 15 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Conahy - thanks for both those links. It's very interesting.

Noland - On the article its Sr. M. Anselm Ryan, so I'm just assuming the M is for Mary. I know of all my grandfather's sisters names & I know where they all ended up, but if there was another sister that was disowned after entering the convent, then it could be a very deep dark secret in the family and one I'm willing to dig up lol.
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 15 20:17 GMT (UK) »
If a daughter was disowned for running away to a convent then it's unlikely such a notice (mentioning her close relatives) would have appeared in the local newspaper.
If she attended a convent school when she was young they might have details on her vocation and career but certainly her order would have kept more detailed records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 15 20:53 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandparents had 6 children, and four were girls & I know where they all ended up as well. If the M in Sr. M. is a Mary, then she would have left the vocation between 1937-1939, as my Mary married in Stoke in 1939 then changed her name to Victoria/Vix in the later years, and died in Spain.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 November 15 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Mary was a common name for nuns and often assumed when they entered the convent but it may have no connection to her original name.

Assuming that all the other details match up (father was dead by then, residence is correct, uncle's details are correct), and there aren't 2 Ryan families having children at the same time then consider-

- church records (perhaps contact the church where she would have been baptised & confirmed to see if they've any record of her becoming entering the novitiate)
- school records
- other relatives (what about the uncle's descendants)

If she is the aunt Mary you've mentioned and did change her mind about becoming a nun that may be why this was never openly talked about.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 November 15 12:40 GMT (UK) »
All those details on there about the father, residence and uncle are correct. So Mary, my gran-aunt did possibly enter a convent but changed her mind. I think when I see my grandmother on Friday, I'll ask her.