Author Topic: Birdsholm Ruby Body  (Read 1315 times)

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birdsholm Ruby Body
« on: Sunday 22 November 15 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me please on Ruby Body father Edward Body and Mother Emma Winifred Chesterton. I have all the details of mum and dad and her brothers and a family photo (less Ruby) and history in a book on ourfutureorpast.ca. I cannot find anything on Ruby born Birdsholm 1916. Emma was pleading for clothes in 1917 for all the family during the drought of 1917 to 21. If anyone can find Ruby's death or hopefully marriage I would be very grateful/ Thanks ivor

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birdsholm Ruby Body
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 15 17:16 GMT (UK) »
hi,

Obituary for mother Winnifred Emma Body in 1955 doesn't mention Ruby.  She is survived by her husband Edward and 5 sons (Jack, Romney, Warwick, K and S). Interment Queens Park Cemetery.    Medicine Hat News, March 31 1955.

Have you checked the cemetery to see if Ruby is also buried there?

RK 

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
1921 census, the only children with them are John, Warwick and Romney.  Now that I see the other boys were born after 1921, I will change their names to initials in my prior post.

In any case, Ruby isn't with them.  Perhaps she died as a small child??

RK

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 November 15 20:31 GMT (UK) »
In December 1921 there were 3 little children with another on the way- see here
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey  the 4th child in the article due was Warwich. Emma had already had John, Ruby and Romney. Thanks everyone for trying. ivor

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.

It appears that the family was residing in Burlington Municipality of Lethbridge District in the 1916 and 1921 censuses so a possible burial for Ruby would likely be found in this area? Here is a link to Lethbridge Cemeteries, 2 of which would have been active in the time frame you are looking at.

http://www.lethbridge.ca/living-here/Cemeteries/Pages/default.aspx

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 November 15 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Ruby appears in the 1916 census as a 7 or 9 month old and is missing from this family in the 1921 census.  Logic suggests that she most likely died in the interim.  The family farm located on Section 13-4-11-W4 is virtually in the middle of nowhere with the nearest hamlet shown on modern maps as Foremost which is 12.5 miles away to the NW as the crow flies.  Lethbridge is 71.5 miles away in the same direction while Medicine Hat is 57.5 miles away to the NE.  Hard to guess where they may have gone for medical emergencies, possibly to the USA which was only 20 miles to the border.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 November 15 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Found a brief history of the Body family in "Long shadows; a history of short grass country".  Page 113 of this book describes Burlington Cemetery which is named after the municipality and was in a farmers field about 1 mile from the Body farm.  Internments are listed on Find a Grave but Ruby does not appear.  The attached is from page 114 continuation of the cemetery story and describes where Ruby was likely buried.

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 November 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Manawakian. I was going to ask you if you thought Ruby had been buried on the farm, but then I thought this would be illegal? Seems like it was not, so this must have happened and therefore no record of death? They must have had a terrible life early on, as I saw in ourfutureourpast.ca that Emma was asking charities for clothes for all the family due to the drought and no work for the men. 1917/21. All the Body's were quite rich in Kent when Edward emigrated,so I wonder why he went? Thanks everybody I think the matter has know been cleared up?