Author Topic: Alexander MacKenzie purchaser of Seton Hall, Tranent  (Read 2315 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander MacKenzie purchaser of Seton Hall, Tranent
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 November 15 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott,

I have searched for "Mackenzie" AND "Brodie" on National Records of Scotland, http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

I got 65 results, but none proving positive. I searched on Scotsman Archives, but got over 1000 results, so would need some other info (dates) to cut down on these results.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 November 15 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Looking at residences, it looks like the following:

Thomas MacKenzie, Fenton as Agricultural laborer

Alexander MacKenzie, Armarnock in Argyll 1848 Gardener
1851Bonnigton Bank, St. Cutberts, Gardener
1861 Coulmony House, Nairnshire  (House sold in 1775 to Ann Brodie of Lethen, Property of J. Brodie Esq) Gardener
1871 Mansion House, Turin Estate, Aberlemno, Angus

Thomas MacKenzie (Alexander's son)
1871 Monzievaird and Strowan, Perthshire, Gardener
1881 Ballechin Garden Cottage, Logierait, Perthshire, Gardener
1910 Appletreeleaves, Langshaw, Roxburgh, Selkirk, Gardener

William Hay MacKenzie (Thomas' son)
1901 Colen Den, Scone, Perthshire, Assistant Forrester (property of Earl of Mansfield)
1907 Dean Castle, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire (I have the offer letter)

Based on the above, the only later interaction with the Brodie's would be around 1861 when Alexander MacKenzie worked at Coulmony House.  That seems to be the only dates that fit and probably recent enough for my great grandmother to remember.  Perhaps she was relaying what she had been told.

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 November 15 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the link above, in the time frame, it appears that there was some legal work regarding the "Legal papers regarding disentail etc. of the Seaforth estate"

Reference: GD46/19/2
"The main parties involved are Keith William Stewart Mackenzie of Seaforth; James Alexander Francis Humberston Stewart Mackenzie, his son; Colin Mackenzie, WS; Alexander David Martin Black, WS; John Mansfield Mackenzie WS; John Mansfield Mackenzie, WS; John C Brodie, WS; Benjamin Greene Lake of Messrs Lakes, Beaumont and Lake, Solicitors, London (Lakes & Co); Julia Viscountess Walden ; Mrs Susan Mackenzie or Stanley wife of Hon Col John Constantine Stanley; Messrs Gibson, Craig, Dalziel and Brodies, WS. Above material apparently formed part of the office records of Messrs Lakes & Co, who acted for Col and Mrs Stanley. "

As far as I can tell, I am not sure how we relate to the Seaforth MacKenzie's

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 November 15 21:08 GMT (UK) »
An advert appeared in the Caledonian Mercury, 1 Dec 1796 -

JUDICIAL SALE OF SETON
"...... the LANDS and LORDSHIP of SETON purchased by Mr Alexander Mackenzie, writer to the signet, at the judicial sales of the York Buildings Company Estates in 1779 ....."

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 November 15 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott & Hanes Teulu,

Hanes, we have disregarded the link to seton Castle, but thanks for your efforts.

Scott,

I do not think that is a legal case between Mackenzie's and Brodie's, Brodie's were writers to the signets, so part of the legal team, Col and Mrs Stanley were the litigants in this case. As you are unsure of link to Mackenzies of Seaforth, I would suggest keeping to the family you know and have proved correct so far.I have been trying to find Alexander Mackenzie in 1851 to 1871 census, at the addresses you have been given, but no luck so far.

Tom.
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 November 15 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Alexander is found in 20 December 1849 at Ardmarnoch, Kilfinan, Argyll, Scotland, at the baptism of his son George Augustus Haig McKenzie (from OPR).

He is found as Alex McKenzie, Bonnington Bank, St. Cutberts, Midlothian in the 1851 Census as Gardener with his wife Margaret, Thomas, and George A.H.).  His son William was born 28 May 1851, Bonngton Bank St. Cutberts from the OPR.

Alexander is found at those locations in the 1861 Census St. Berwick Haddington as Gardner at Coulmony as Alexr McKenzie with his wife Margaret Hay and all his children (Thomas, George A. H., William, Alexander and John). 

He is also found (this time spelled MacKenzie) in Aberlemno, Agus at the Turin Gardener's House as Gardener with his wife Margaret and son John in the 1871 Census.  He is also found (spelled McKenzie) in the 1881 Census, same location.  He died 06 July 1891 and is buried in the Aberlemno Churchyard, Aberlemno, Angus.

Obviously he is not related to the Alexander who purchased Seton Castle and tore it down to make Seton Hall. 

Alexander's father was Thomas McKenzie 29 August 1793 in Tranent, East Lothian to Alexander Mackinzie (1760-1823) and Christian Knox.  This is from naming conventions, OPR and collaboration of other family names and death records of his siblings.  Alexander married Catherine Edington (from official death records).  I am trying to push back further.  I suspect that his father was Alexander McKenzie b about 1740 or so based on location, naming conventions and sibling death records.

Any help would be a huge help.  Perhaps I need to change the title of the thread...

Scott