Author Topic: Information on Marion Muir nee Loudon (mother's maiden was Steel/Steele)  (Read 1766 times)

Offline snazzyrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information on Marion Muir nee Loudon (mother's maiden was Steel/Steele)
« on: Monday 23 November 15 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm trying to locate what happened to Marion Muir (with the maiden name of Loudon) after the 1901 census.  She is listed as head of the household on the 1901 census after her husband, David Muir, who was a tailor passed away in 1896. They were married in 1866. She was born in approx 1846 and the family lived in Cambusnethan but seemed to have moved to the High Street in Shotts by 1911.  In the 1911 census, her son Archibald is head of the household.  I have tried to locate her death certificate or another marriage (i'm thinking less likely) during those 10 years without any luck under all possible surnames (including her mother's maiden name of Steel/Steele) and the Lanark county particularly Cambusnethan, Calderhead and Shotts.  I am related to her daughter Elizabeth who appears to be Archibald's twin and was born in 1870.
Any advice is appreciated or please feel free to ask for more clarification.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Marion Muir nee Loudon (mother's maiden was Steel/Steele)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 November 15 00:37 GMT (UK) »
All women recorded on death in Scotland if married were recorded with their maiden name.

Have you tried the "soundex" option or "variants" option for surname but leaving place of death blank as she may have died at another location and recorded there?

Annie

ADDED......or surnames which begin with "Mu" as she may be down as Murie or similar?
She may also be recorded as Morag or similar so I would go on names beginning with "M"
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 November 15 00:54 GMT (UK) »
I think this could be her on SP...

1912   LOUDON   MARION       MUIR   F   67   CALDERHEAD   /LANARK   626/0B 0144

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 November 15 02:14 GMT (UK) »
She is buried in Cambusnethan cemetery, Wishaw. The entry in the Day Book reads -

MARION MUIR, Stane. Aged 67 years, widow.
Parents - Archibald Loudon & Elizabeth Steel.
Interred in plot B573/4 on 19th December 1912.
Plot owner is listed as - Archibald S.L. Muir, tailor & cutter, 46 Main St, Stane.

(Stane is part of modern-day Shotts).

Her husband David is buried with her parents in their family plot in the old churchyard, which adjoins the cemetery. The plot must have been full by the time Marion passed away and so she had to be buried in the new cemetery. There must be a link between the Loudon and Sommerville families as they are kind of mixed up in one plot.
Unfortunately, the records for the old churchyard plot books only begin in the mid 1870s, with some earlier information supplied via the new cemetery gravediggers Day Book.

According to the records, David Muir is buried in a Sommerville plot but, a headstone has survived that states he is in the Loudon plot. My guess is that it was originally one large plot that has been divided into two. Or, David has been buried "next door" by mistake!

Here's the information from the Plot Book on both plots - (all dates are of burial)

Plot owned by Archibald Smith Loudon.
In the South lair -
MATILDA MUIR, aged 7 years. 13th October 1882.
ARCHIBALD SMITH LOUDON, aged 85 years, 8th December 1904.

Plot owned by James Sommerville.
In the South lair -
DAVID MUIR, aged 55 years, 29th July 1896.
THOMAS SOMMERVILLE, aged 82 years, 28th February 1910.
In the Centre lair -
ELIZABETH SOMMERVILLE, aged 68 years, 12th October 1898.
In the North lair -
THOMAS SOMMERVILLE, aged 3 years, 31st January 1893.

The headstone transcription is not exactly as it is inscribed on the stone but the names and dates are as follows  -
"Archibald Smith Loudon, Stane, died 6th December 1904 aged 85 years. His wife Elizabeth Steel died 2nd January 1870. Their son-in-law David Muir died 25th July 1896 aged 55 years".

There is a transcription of the Sommerville stone but I don't think the stone itself has survived. The transcriptions were taken in 1982.
"1816 Erected by James Sommerville and Christina Baird in memory of their three daughters".

Finally, here is a photograph of the Loudon headstone, it's not a good one and I'll try to get a better one taken.
I will also now go back to the records and search for more entries.

Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 November 15 02:54 GMT (UK) »
2 more entries from the Day Books.

JOHN MUIR, Stane. aged 2 years.
Parents - David Muir & Marion Loudon.
Interred in the old churchyard on 21st October 1869.

ELIZABETH LOUDON, housewife, Torbothie, aged 45 years, married.
Parents - Thomas Steele & Marion Marshall.
Interred in the old churchyard on 5th January 1870.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline snazzyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 November 15 03:17 GMT (UK) »
I am absolutely overwhelmed by the depth of information you have given me here.  I am so thankful.  I returned back to state I had found her on the 1911 census after all, she was no longer head of the household but her son Archibald was (he also wasn't a twin to Elizabeth as I first stated).  I came on here to correct myself but am now glad I made an error with this wealth of information!  Incidentally, do you know why a couple with an illegitimate child would choose to marry 6 months after he was born?  They are definitely the parents.  This is for Robert Hunter born in Calderhead 1898 to Marion Loudon's daughter Elizabeth (Steel) Muir and John Hunter.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 November 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katrina,

So glad I could help. As for the marriage of Elizabeth and John, why not? They wouldn't have been the first couple to live "in sin" until they could afford to be married. There may have been a particular reason that was important to them, who knows?
The main thing is, according to Scots law, as soon as the parents marry (each other of course) any children born previously will automatically become legitimate. No need to go through a court of law to make it so, so no cost at all to the parents.

Good luck with the rest of your research,

Lodger
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline snazzyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 November 15 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Ah finances..makes sense.  Their son Robert was raised by his grandparents for a while probably for the same reason.  And I should add, no judgement at all, just curiosity :-)