Author Topic: northumberland john sheel  (Read 1982 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: northumberland john sheel
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 November 15 22:33 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gjt/

That link takes you to the entry for John in Bishops Transcript of the Baptism Register on Family Search.

As the archives would probably have looked at the original register and that appears to agree, that is the only information available.

Boo

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 November 15 22:41 GMT (UK) »
deleted - duplicate post
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline MONGERSMOM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 November 15 22:42 GMT (UK) »
thank you all! you are absolutely amazing and I truly appreciate your help. I am printing the marriage license now from ancestry and will print the baptism records. Have a great night!

Offline Luly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 September 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to see if there is a bastardy record?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 16:48 BST (UK) »
A «professional» researcher should be providing you with sourced information, not just swearing that things are right  :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 20:23 BST (UK) »
Re: bastardy records.
There are 'some' on FS but they are too late for the specified year (they start at 1841).
I tried the catalogue  for Northumberland  Archives but I believe that they are still in the process of compiling them onto a newer database (which I really hope is more user friendly than the last one where you needed to throw a double 6 to pass Go) and nothing earlier came up, ditto for the National Archives for locally held records.

I'd suggest emailing Northumberland Archives to establish IF any bastardy bonds Edit: records in general for maintenance of illegitimate children for this date and area still exist.

IF they do, then a look up request in RootsChat may result in someone checking for you when they visit the archives -  that would mean you get a specific date/ reference and turn the 'research request' to the archives into a 'copy' request and save you a king's ransom in fees.
Sadly, from what I have seen (or, indeed, not seen) in catalogues, its a long shot, but long shots do sometimes pay off :-)

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gjt/

That link takes you to the entry for John in Bishops Transcript of the Baptism Register on Family Search.

Is spelt Shiell.
Also a Mary Sheel, bap 24 March 1833, mother Mary, Singlewoman
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6QYL-RV?i=169&cc=1309819

Is that Mary with the Armstrongs, James and Margaret, in 1841 and 1851?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGXQ-36K

James Armstrong + Margaret Sheel, 3 July 1830, Longhoughton.

Bastardy Bonds per se ceased in 1834.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon, though the actual 'bonds' may have ceased the system of making sure illegitimate children were not a financial burden on the parish still continued. Though I accept I should have used the term 'records' in general for this period.

Longhoughton was part of Alnwick Union and this page shows that some (admittedly later) records do exist.
https://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/008715FS.htm

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 18:24 BST (UK) »
Longhoughton was part of Alnwick Union and this page shows that some (admittedly later) records do exist.

It's always the way! But still perhaps a chance of finding something in quarter sessions records. Possibly the minutes of the Board of Guardians. Never give up hope!