Author Topic: William THRELFALL, formerly of WWI's 29th Division  (Read 9254 times)

Offline johnps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William THRELFALL, formerly of WWI's 29th Division
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 12:09 GMT (UK) »
No I haven't. Good idea. The Threlfall I referred to earlier (the tall one who didn't match Queenie's picture) emigrated from Southport to Canada in 1921 - though he returned three years later.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 November 15 16:30 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW, as the one who had the "quite tall" grandfather, I agree that there can be too many Williams to choose from - and yes, mine did go to Canada to join other family there, at least once.

There are also several with "William" as middle name, johnps. I was informed of your search by someone else who has links to my direct line, and was happy to help even by eliminating one or two.
Have you considered that your WT may have been singing falsetto ( or even been a counter tenor)? On the whole, most of the ones I've known have been fairly musical, usually instrumental rather than voice, though.
If "yours" was appearing after the War in Blackpool, have you tried Equity or the Variety Artists lot? Do keep us all posted - all of that name do seem to be linked somehow if we go far enough back. Good luck.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline johnps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 November 15 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I’m discovering just how many variations of William Threlfall there are – be they first or middle names. But for whatever reason, the army did seem to do a good job at recording middle names, either in full or just with the initial. And all the medal cards/rolls I have for the person I believe is William/Queenie, just say “William”.
But I am also trying what may ultimately prove to be an exhausting but fruitless experiment. I’m trying to triangulate – if that’s the correct term – all the references (England/Lancashire BMD/births & Christenings/Census/Military/etc.) to anyone with the surname Threlfall, born between 1889 and 1897, whose first and/or middle names include William. Hopefully, though a process of elimination (including your feedback and that of others) I can at least narrow down the likely candidates to a manageable number. Right now I have 36 people of whom 17 are just plain William.
But I will also search the performing arts and other newspapers. And I will most definitely share where my adventure takes me. Thanks again for your help, John

Offline Grameka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 November 15 03:40 GMT (UK) »
The Blackburn William Threlfall from the RAMC is my 2nd Great Uncle. I was trying to prove and or disprove the Queenie thing for quite some time... I came to the conclusion that he maybe was part of a Troupe, or the troupe, but he looks nothing like old Queenie (or Aunty Bill as I was calling him for a while). I'll dig out a photo...

*Ok, here he is...

William "Bill" Threlfall of the RAMC. Whitehead St, Blackburn born 1891. He wasn't a tall man at all... that would be the shoulder of his wife he is perched against. Photo at a family wedding in 1938.

Offline Grameka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 November 15 04:02 GMT (UK) »
I thought he resembled a member of a 'Troupe' (doesn't say which) that I found on a Postcard on ebay... so much so that I actually bought it...

Offline johnps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 November 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Grameka, but I think we can safely exclude William of Whitehouse Rd as a possible Queenie, since we have records showing he was discharged from the military in 1917, just as the Diamond Troupe was getting underway.
I agree it is often so difficult to discern likenesses from old photos. And in this case it’s not just because anyone alive today would only remember an already aged William, but also because everyone’s faces are painted in the old promotional photos. Had my mother not pointed out my grandfather, I don’t think I would have ever recognized him.
But just for fun, I’ve uploaded some close-ups of photos of Queenie I was recently given by the son of the troupe’s musical director (who is around 90). I haven’t posted them on Wikipedia, because they are just photocopies. But they are interesting! 

Offline Grameka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 November 15 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Dressing up like that in front of a couple of thousand sex staved, war weary, late teenage squadies... he deserves a special medal of his own (no doubt made into a lovely broach). Fair play to him, a real hero. Good luck with the hunt, I'd be very interested in an update also, when you track our leading lady down.  :)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 November 15 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Just bookmarking - this is a fascinating thread!! What wonderful pics.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 November 15 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought - surely if you know when/where he joined up, there should be some personal details - Next of Kin, address, civilian occupation etc. on there, to help narrow them down. And the Blackburn one might have been transferred to the Troupe in 1917, rather than simply demobbed, but if that was so, then surely those same service papers should show it? And they'd give an accurate age, more or less, wouldn't they? I know many youngsters added years, and a few older men subtracted them, but did he?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)