Author Topic: Work disruption during building of Ardkinglas House, Cairndow c. 1905  (Read 976 times)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Work disruption during building of Ardkinglas House, Cairndow c. 1905
« on: Tuesday 24 November 15 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Trying to uncover the truth or otherwise of a family legend. My great grandfather Alexander Stewart was the proprietor of the plumbing firm that installed the plumbing when Ardkinglas House was built c. 1905. Rumour has it that a younger brother of Alexander's (possibly Daniel, a stone mason) who was also working at Ardkinglas House tried to instigate a strike during construction. Apparently he was nearly successful but thankfully not quite. He became the black sheep of the family and left the area shortly after. I have searched through various papers etc. for possible proof of all this. Hoping somebody might have some relevant information.

Regards

Doddie 

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Work disruption during building of Ardkinglas House, Cairndow c. 1905
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Doddie,

I am from that area too and I belong to a very active Facebook group for Lochgilphead and surrounding area. Try inquiring there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/381502925231988/
Also, I will ask my parents (in their mid 80s) when I see them today. They may have heard something. We have solved older mysteries using clues from their memories!

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Doddie,

I'm back. Didn't learn a lot from my visit with my parents but they do remember Stewart the plumbers. They were still in business in 1967 when we left and immigrated to Canada. My mother remembers meeting a plumber, by the name of Stewart (maybe Geordie??) in the 1940s/50s, likely a son or grandson of Alexander Stewart. My father thinks one of the descendants had the unusual name of Sanderson Stewart. Dad also says that their shop was located near the Crinan Canal in the village of Ardrishaig. I would guess that the family would be living in Ardrishaig as well. You might want to look them up on the 1901 census at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk Dad says he is fairly sure it was Stewarts who worked on Ellary House back in the 1890s as well. Hope that helps some.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 15 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary, fascinating. What a small world it is! Yes, the plumbing business was established by Alexander in 1900. It then passed to my grandfather George (Geordie) in 1925 and then in 1964 to my uncle Alexander (Sanders). He retired in about 1994 and as it didn't pass to anyone else after that, the business closed. The old plumbing yard by the banks of the canal was eventually converted into two medium sized houses. My Uncle (now 85) still lives in one with my aunt. I also have other relatives that live close by. My family connections in the Ardrishaig area go back to about the 1860s. It is my maternal line. Alexander Stewart moved originally to Ardrishaig (from Loanhead, outside Edinburgh) c. 1895 for work reasons. Shortly after that he married and settled down in Ardrishaig for good. He married Annie Jackson who came from a local family whose background was in fishing.

Doddie

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 15 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Doddie,

Aha, you are right - it is a small world! You know that area very well then too. Before our immigration, we were living just outside of Tayvallich. My mother was born in South Knapdale, my father by Dalmally. They met first about 1947 when they worked on neighbouring farms. Mum was working with her relative, Lizzie Anderson, at Ardnaw and Dad was working alongside his own Dad at Lochead. Likely your family and my family knew each, and could very well be related somehow, as it seems to go in Argyll. I was last home in 2012.

The Jacksons were likely incomers to the area, came for the herring fishing as you say.

Did you check the 1901 census?

Mary