Author Topic: Tomkinson family of Knightley 1600-1700s  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tomkinson family of Knightley 1600-1700s
« on: Tuesday 24 November 15 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just wondering if anyone else has an interest in the Tomkinson family?

I'm trying to find out where they lived.  I'm guessing it was Knightley Hall, Gnosall but I'm not really sure, and I haven't found anything online so far which connects them to it. 

I recently obtained the will of Thomas Tomkinson who died in 1691.  It didn't say where he lived exactly but he did mention having a 99 year lease on the property where he lived from a John Coke of Holkham, Norfolk which I thought was interesting.

Jay   
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tomkinson family of Knightley 1600-1700s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 19:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial in Gnosall, Staffordshire in 1691 for a Tho' Tomkinson (how it was spelt in the record).  Unfortunately, there is also a burial record for 1689 also in Gnosall.  I was unable to find a birth that makes any sense.  The nearest was in 1580.
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Mike, for this.  I haven't had the opportunity to get to Gnosall yet to check for burials but getting this from you certainly helps.  He seems to have died on 14 July 1691 and his will was proved that year. In the church records his burial was two days later.

Thomas was married to Margaret Bayley, and they had four sons viz James, Henry, William and John. There were also two daughters.  I'm guessing John, the youngest son, took over the running of the farm.  James and Henry were clergymen and William moved to Davenham in Cheshire.

Jay

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jay.  I found the marriage in 1646, 16 July to Margareta BAYLY in Forton All Saints.  Thomas was baptised on 12 March 1631 at Blore Ray, St Bartholemew. son of Richard Tomkinson.  Can't be sure of Margareta but a baptism took place on 9 Jan 1631 of a Margarett Bayly in Wolverhampton, father's name, Lewis Bayly.
Hope this helps.
Mike 
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 15 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Again, many thanks. 

Your message has really excited me because you have found an entry for the elusive Lewis Bayley.  ;D I can't find out much about him, only that he had a son Anthony baptised at Forton in 1628/9.  They lived at a place called Lindor House - or at least his father did (also Lewis) - which was somewhere in Gnosall, although I can't find it on any maps that I've looked at.  Perhaps it disappeared long ago.  This Lewis had an older brother called Anthony who in turn had a son he named Lewis.  Confusing when families repeat the same names over and over.

The marriage you mentioned I found last week.  Margaret was the daughter of Matthew Bayley of Weston Wood in Norbury parish.

Jay

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 July 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Jay.

I'm interested in the Tomkinson family for obvious reasons and have been researching them for many years. I believe all of that name descended from one family originating in Staffordshire. I might be able to place many Tomkinsons. Let me know if I can help you.

I'm not sure if this thread is current as I can't see a year in the dates.

Don Tomkinson

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 July 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Don

Many thanks for your reply.

How interesting. I haven’t really done anything more on this family since my previous post which seems to have been several years ago now.  How time flies!

I’ve reached an impasse with my research so any details you have regarding the TOMKINSON family would be gratefully received. I am particularly interested in Thomas Tomkinson who married Margaret Bayley. I don’t know anything about him apart from the fact that he was in possession of a property belonging to the Coke family. 

The descendants of this marriage ended up at Dorfold Hall near Nantwich.  The Tomkinson and Bayley families seemed to have retained contact as I have personal correspondence which evidences this.  There was also a legal dispute when James Tomkinson of Dorfold Hall refused to hand over the legal papers relating to the estate of James Bayley of Stapeley Hall who died in 1764.

There are more papers at the National Archives re this so I need to order these at some point.

Jay

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 July 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Jay
If you let me have you email address I'll be pleased to send you a descendants' register from Thomas Tomkinson of Gnosall.

Regards,
Don

don.tomkinson@lineone.net