Author Topic: jones from cwmystwyth  (Read 3598 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: jones from cwmystwyth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 November 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi this family has kept me going for a few hours, sticking to the boys, did William T b c 1868 marry a Catherine E with son Thomas aged 1 and Eleanor 0 in 1901, or marry a Magdelene Lewis 1894 Aberystwyth or neither!!
The only John b 1870 with correct occupation and pob Cwmystwyth in latest census is married to an Annie Mary
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beckwith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 November 15 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your responses. I must look and see if I can sort it further with your answers John Jones married a Annie Mary in 1907. she was born in Glamorganshire as per 1911 census when they lived in Cornwall St in Notting Hill. He was a lead miner before he became a dairyman
Annie Jones married Howell Davies in 1899. He came from Carmarthenshire. In 1911 they were living with John
Mary Jones married John Stephen Osborne in 1907. He came from Silverstone in Northampton
William T Jones married Harriett Eleanor Jane Doughty in 1899/1900
I don't think it is the Eagle St family as they were in Cornwall St in kensington in 1901. The Pencwm familey seems  better
My main ancestor is Annie Osborne child of Mary Jones who was brought up by John Jones and changed her name to Nansi Osborne Jones
William T Jones son was Hugh Griffith(Jones) who was an actor and Hughs daughter is Gemma Jones the actress
thank you for all your research i haven't been in touch for a few days due to family commitments, sorry

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 November 15 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I was about to say small world, as my grandfather was a friend of Hugh Griffith the actor (from Laurence of Arabia etc) - but on checking I see he was from Anglesey, whilst Gemma Jones' father was known as Griffith Jones (Wiki claims his first name was Harold?)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 November 15 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi odd that the William T Jones who married Harriett E J Doughty in June qtr 1899 Kensington is with the Catherine E  I showed with children Thomas 1 and Eleanor 3 months at 5, St Annes Road, Hammersmith in 1901, even though I think this is the correct William T
Census ref RG13/43/112/48
Keyboard86

What was the surname of Annie Mary who married John, census prior to 1907 etc?
Who was therefore the other William T b 1868 Aberystwyth occ Dairyman married to Magdeline, in London area?
RG13/113/49/3

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 November 15 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,  I think you meant Cornwall Road Kensington for John 30 occ Dairyman Mary 22 Howell Davies 23 Annie Davies 24 Thomas Jones 21 all born Wales plus others.
Census ref RG13/27/63/19
Keyboard86

Hi so you mean this other 1901 census,  the "Other " William Thomas Jones b 1868 Aberystwyth married to Magdeline Lewis, I possibly think is the son of Thomas 41 and Anne 38 in Upper Llanfihangel in 1871
Census ref RG10/5566/40/1

Or another one on RG10/5566/72/1
The children with William & Catherine in 1901 would you agree that they are the ones with William and Harriett E J in 1911?
Keyboard86

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 November 15 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I've been digging around in the welsh newspaper archives, which have quite a lot of coverage of the London expat community, and can find a few references to a J Jones, John Jones or Jack Jones of Cornwall Road, but as John marries an Elizabeth Evans in 1899, not sure its your

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 November 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Post Office London Directory (Part 3, Commercial & Professional)

Jones Brothers, Dairymen, 186 Portland Road, W. & 239 Cornwall Rd, Nottinghill, W.
Jones Wm. Thomas, dairyman, 239 Cornwall Road, W.

Offline beckwith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 November 15 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much. I feel I have finally sorted this family out!!
Keyboard86    John Jones did marry Annie Mary. I don't know her maiden name but she was born in Glamorgan. I have a receipt for a burial plot bought in July 1930, by Annie Mary Jones, Kensington. John was not the John in the 1901 census, as he appears in another 1901 census with his sisters and brother in law. The brother in law being Howell Davies and a niece Margaret. I knew the niece Margaret and her future sister Gwendoline so I believe this family  to be the one
Mabel    No the Eagle St family was not the correct one. I did make a mistake with Hugh and Herbert!! I remember being taken to see an old lady in the Aberystwyth countryside, and she sent us eggs and cheese during the war. She was Margaret who stayed behind but  :DI never knew who she was. Brilliant!!! Could you tell me the date of the tribute in the Y Cymro  I can read welsh to a degree
Hanes Teulu   I think you found the correct 1881 census and there is William Thomas age 13, so that confirms him as a brother, as does the post office record which was fantastic
 The Aberystwyth obituary has the correct Thomas death
Thank you all so much  Beckwith 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 November 15 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Look for Y Cymro, 7 March 1917

I liked the description of their working underground which contrasted with their work as dairymen, associated with hygiene/cleanliness