Author Topic: Samuel Aston, Exciseman, Birmingham, Staffordshire, Shropshire and Lancashire  (Read 688 times)

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I am trying to track down any information concerning a Samuel Aston.

Samuel was born in around 1742 and was an Exciseman, (occupation shown on Baptism record of his daughter, Mary at Poulton in 1769). He was in the Lancashire area in the 1760's and it looks like the same man  in Shropshire, per Land Tax records on Anc, once again showing him as an Exciseman.

I am actually trying to place him in the Birmingham, (or ideally in the Aston area). around 1772 -1775.

The only sources I can think of are

1) Government records held at the National Archive, (to be visited)
2) Land/Tax records, Rent books
3) Directories

I was at Birmingham Library today and looked at their directories. The one I was interested in, that showed Excise Officers, was Sketchley Birmingham Directory, which i understand was first published in 1767.  However they only had a 1770 copy. Does anyone know where I may be able find copies for 1772 onwards?

As regards any rent books, after speaking to one of the archivists at Birmingham Library, and as most brummie genealogists  know, Aston was separate from Birmingham until the 19th century and they do not have anything for Aston prior to 1875 ish. Does anyone know if they exist and where?

Parliamentary papers of 1815 show Samuel as a Permit Writer. It appears he may have also had a pension but he disappears in 1817....cannot find a suitable death record......

and finally......

any other sources I may interrogate, or any more information about him would be most gratefully received.

Thanks for reading this post

Best Wishes

Eric

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Aston, Exciseman, Birmingham, Staffordshire, Shropshire and Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Title -The trial of Thomas Phipps the elder, Thomas Phipps the younger, and William Thomas for forgery at the assize holden at Shrewsbury on Tue 11 August 1789
Author - Thomas Phipps, published 1789

Mr SAMUEL ASTON (Officer of Excise) sworn
Deposed, that he was likewise well aquainted with Mr Coleman's handwriting: frequently saw him write in the journals, and that there was no likeness between the name to the note, and Mr Coleman's handwriting