Author Topic: Michael O'Donnell Mohill  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Lrcd143ct

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael O'Donnell Mohill
« on: Wednesday 25 November 15 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Michael O’Donnell’s Family. Michael was born about 1803 and died 17 Nov 1867 in Mohill, Leitrim.  As far as I know he had six children – Thomas, Mary, Michael, John, Rebecca and Elizabeth.  Michael lists John as his brother in his will.  Rebecca’s obituary lists Mary as her sister.  Death certs all list Michael as the father but Marys says mother Mary Duke and Rebecca and Johns lists Ann Duke.  The age spread is Thomas born 1833 to Elizabeth 1854. Thomas, Mary, Michael, Rebecca and John all died in New Haven, CT, USA.  Anne Duke O’Donnell died 4 Jan 1901 in Mohill, Leitrim.  Her death cert index says age 71 document looks like 61 but crossed out?  Ideally I would love to find an obituary for Michael and Anne, I am not sure Anne may be his second wife?  I believe Michael was Catholic and Anne protestant would they be buried in the same cemetery?
Thank you, Lynn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael O'Donnell Mohill
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 16:59 GMT (UK) »
There's unlikely to be an obituary for Michael O'Donnell if he died in 1867 and even a chance a death notice would appear in the local paper. You may be luckier with Anne's death in 1901.

If Anne was Protestant it very likely she would have converted around the time of the marriage and thus as a Catholic would most likely to have been buried in the same place as her husband.

Mohill online baptism records start 1836 as do the marriages and deaths-
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0175
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a son Robert (c1835-1906) died in Manhattan, N.Y.
   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2719-7MD

Offline Lrcd143ct

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 15 15:27 GMT (UK) »
The odd thing is all the children who married in New Haven, CT were married in a Catholic church.  Elizabeth is listed as a adult convert to the Catholic church just before she married Thomas Connolly. 
Thank you for the link to the Robert O'Donnell death record in New York.  That does make sense , when my great grandfather died his obituary stated New York papers please copy, Robert was probably the reason for that.  Its looking more and more like Anne was MUCH older than her son in law thought.  I am posting the section of the death certificate where Anne's age is listed to me it looks like he thought they said when was her last birthday, his answer 7/22 then the age 61 which is crossed off?  What do you think?
]

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 15 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Elizabeth couldn't prove she'd been baptised or since her parents might have been a mixed marriage some of the children raised Catholic and others Protestant.

Offline Clarkey100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My Great Grandmother was Elizabeth O'Donnell who married Thomas Connolly in Mohill 28th September 1876. Elizabeth was living in Glebe Street, Mohill at the time of her marriage, Father Michael O'Donnell and Mother Anne Duke. Thomas Connolly was R.C. and Elizabeth was Church of Ireland so yes a mixed marriage. When my Grandmother Margaret Connolly was alive she remembered her Grandmother Ann living with them as her husband Thomas passed away in 1867 until her death in 1901.
Would love to hear from you's, i live in N Ireland but have visited Mohill many times.
Michael.