Author Topic: Who was Captain Scott's first wife?  (Read 4488 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Captain Scott's first wife?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 November 15 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Possible death for Elizabeth/Lizzie in 1931 in Rescobie, Angus with a birth year of 1865. Searching SP as Elizabe* Mchar* Scott there.

From www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

Elizabeth McHardy Scott
Died 14 February 1931
Burial Place Newmonthill (Angus)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 November 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, everyone - thank you!

I had a moment of serendipity - I was looking at the IGI for children born to James Scotts between 1855 and 1863, and just happened to notice Mary Jane Scott, father James Scott, mother Elizabeth McHardie, and just wondered if that was a coincidence, or whether James named his first child by his second wife after his deceased first wife. It all checks out - James Scott, ship master, married Elizabeth McHardie at 10 Adelphi Court on 27 January 1858. Their daughter Mary Jane was born on 29 November 1858, and died at 10 Adelphi Court ten months later. Elizabeth McHardie or Scott died at 10 Adelphi Court on 3 October 1861.

So, with all your help, that's one question done and dusted :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 November 15 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if his parents died in Menmuir or did the whole family move to Rescobie?
His mother died in Menmuir and his father in Brechin. Jane Ann Gibson's home was in Rescobie.

Trying to establish when/if they moved did his 1st marriage take place in Rescobie or Menmuir.
Aberdeen, actually.

Have you found his parents on 1841/1851?

Yes/yes.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 November 15 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Their daughter Mary Jane was born on 29 November 1858, and died at 10 Adelphi Court ten months later

Can see that one now!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 November 15 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Now if the combined forces were to turn their attention to James Scott's brother David ....

David was born in Menmuir on 3 January 1827. He too joined the Merchant Navy, and rose to become a ship captain. He married Mary Goldie in Aberdeen in 1855, giving his residence as Dundee. They had three children: Helen Smith Scott b 1856; Elizabeth Jane Scott (1858-1949) and Alexander Scott b 1861. David and Mary were then divorced - I don't yet know exactly when - and he was said to be deceased when Elizabeth Jane married in 1883. I have not found a death in Scotland.

I have found a report of the wreck of the brigantine 'Airolo' of Liverpool on Savage Island in the South Seas on 10 October 1876, and the subsequent death of her Captain David Scott before the survivors were rescued in January 1877. I have also found a report that the 'Venus', owned by the same company as the 'Airolo' (J S DeWolfe of Liverpool) called at Pitcairn island on 10 September 1878 under the command of Captain David Scott. So were there two Captain David Scotts with J S DeWolfe, and if so was one of them 'my' David Scott, and who was the other?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 November 15 21:48 GMT (UK) »
There's another Captain David Scott in charge of a boat called the British Merchant,belonging to a company in Dundee. That was sailing back to Dundee in 1866 when caught in storms off South America in May 1867, when captain Scott was killed

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 November 15 22:34 GMT (UK) »
How about this chap. 

SCOTT DAVID 14/11/1868 MASTER MARINER RESIDING IN BROUGHTY FERRY   DUNDEE SHERIFF COURT SC45/31/21

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 November 15 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Mabel and Don. I will follow those up.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 November 15 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Dundee Courier 3 Sep 1867
Fatal Accident to a Ship Master on Board.
Edits:
This Capt David Scott died on 25 May 1867 aboard the barque "British Merchant Of Dundee" 500 miles from Valparaiso.
He was hit by a wave and thrown onto casks held on the decks and died from head injuries.

He lived in Seafield, Broughty Ferry and left a widow and **TWO** children.

** I spotted the marriage announcement for daughter Lizzie Jane in 1883.
The article states that she was " the only surviving daughter  "of the late Capt David Scott