Author Topic: Lookup request marriage William Cogill Stoke Damerel 1830  (Read 2275 times)

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup request marriage William Cogill Stoke Damerel 1830
« on: Thursday 26 November 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for details of the marriage of William Cogill and Sarah Billing at Stoke Damerel on 5th April 1830.

I am trying to link William to a family I am researching so any additional information would be much appreciated - residence (I assume he was a sailor), father's name or anything else that may be useful.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request marriage William Cogill Stoke Damerel 1830
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 15 16:02 GMT (UK) »
The details and image are on FamilySearch, but

These images are viewable:
To signed-in members of supporting organizations.
When using the site at a family history center.

Added: Found it on FindMyPast but the image doesn't give any details of parents. Says he was a mariner and she was a spinster. Married by banns. Witnesses John Harding and ? Harding.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 15 16:19 GMT (UK) »
The details and image are on FamilySearch, but

These images are viewable:
To signed-in members of supporting organizations.
When using the site at a family history center.

Added: Found it on FindMyPast but the image doesn't give any details of parents. Says he was a mariner and she was a spinster. Married by banns. Witnesses John Harding and ? Harding.

Many thanks for that.  I looked on FindMyPast but didn't find the image.  Pity it doesn't give parents, it was a long shot.

Just out of curiosity, there is a William Cogill listed on HMS Undaunted in 1830 with wife Sarah.  He was a purser's steward.  This vessel served in the Cape from 1831 to 1834.  There is also a William Cogill who married Elizabeth Goodwin in the Cape in 1833 and he became an hotel keeper.  All possibly coincidental, but it makes me wonder whether it was possible that William left his wife Sarah in England and married again a a bachelor in the Cape?

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
Just to complete the story for this request.  I found the muster rolls for HMS Undaunted and William Cogill made an allotment of his pay to wife Sarah, but cancelled it (no reason given) in 1832.  Then in 1833 he left the ship in Simons Town, South Africa and a few months later married Elizabeth Fulcher (or Goodwin - she is buried with a Luke Goodwin who I believe may have been her stepfather). 

William was an hotelier in Simons Town.  He married twice  in S Africa, had 12 children and I believe all the Cogills in South Africa are probably descended from him. Ironically,as a former sailor, he died as a result of an accident at sea when returning to England to visit his eldest son.

I have not been able to find any trace of Sarah in deaths or marriages after 1832, either in the name of Cogill or Billing.  I wonder whether William just deserted her, or did she die?

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:William Cogill 1806-1882
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 22 12:13 BST (UK) »
Just resurrecting this thread and wondering if anyone can help find William's first wife, Sarah Billing.

The allotment of pay he signed in 1830 was stopped in June 1832, when William was aboard HMS Undaunted and based in South Africa.  I have been told by an experienced Royal Navy researcher that stopping an allotment would only be made if the wife died (ie the sailor could not just decide he didn't want to pay it any more).  However, I have never been able to find any trace of Sarah after 1930.  Did she die, or did he find she had she deserted him for another man?

The last record of her was at the time of the pay allotment in Nov 1830, when she was living at 21 Sandwich Street, Portsea.  (I believe that this address was later incororated in the naval base around 1847).

I have searched deaths, graves and marriages under the name Sarah Cogill (and variants) and Sarah Billing (and variants) without success.  If anyone has any other ideas, or possible records, I would love to know.  (Incidentally, there is a Sarah Finney Billing that keeps cropping up, but I am satisfied this is not the one I am looking for).
Jim

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 June 22 16:44 BST (UK) »
A bit more on William Cogill/Sarah Billing marriage.  I have found a marriage record of james Cogill to Sarah Barrett at Tonbridge on 8 Nov 1856.   The record shows his father as "William Cogill, Naval Officer".

I believe this must be a child of William Cogill and Sarag Billing.  His age was 25, so born about 1831.  His grave in 1915 gives his age as 84. 

A James Cogill was baptised at Chatham on 30 March 1832, said to be the son of Henry Cogil and Ann Cogill, who were William Cogill's parents.  Ann at that time would be 56 years old, so clearly this was not their son.

William's ship sailed for the Cape in February 1831.  Could this child have been born to Sarah after William's departure - perhaps August/Sept 1831.  Perhaps, as mentioned in earlier post, Sarah died and the son was taken in and baptised by his grandparents?