Author Topic: Looking for place-name probably Forgan/Balmarino area  (Read 7210 times)

Offline TamPepper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for place-name probably Forgan/Balmarino area
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 November 15 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I know the area well Dod, but just didn't know I had a connection
I will visit with the Camera, the first good day
Thanks again

I found Katherine's headstone on a sunny day this summer (2015). The view from the Churchyard with the 'silvery Tay' sparkling in the sun was just perfect. A lovely place to have as your final resting place.
               Regards,     Dod.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 November 15 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Great rootschat result being told about an ancestor's grave and headstone....

You could also perhaps take a look at the houses to the west of Flass - which is on the bend in the road & central on this image.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 28 November 15 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Just reading this thread and decided to toss in a contribution.

In 1770, Dr. John Gillespie of Kirkton held; Flass, Little Friarton, Woodhaven, Harloshiels, Newport, Dundee and Gateside (Directory of Land Ownership in Scotland), the Dundee mentioned here was just below Newport not the one across the Tay.

I mention this since Rogers appear in both Flass and Gateside which are not close together and that Gateside borders Balmerino.  And so it seems there was relationship with Gillespie as either employer or landlord. 

Looking at the property details, Flass has a value of 244 pounds with 6 dwellings and Gateside has a value of 208 ponds with 3 dwellings.  So they both had more that one dwelling.

However, the Superior of Flass (and almost everything else in Forgan) was the St. Fort Estate and St. Andrews University Special Collections has the bulk of its records.  If anyone can verify the whereabouts of this unique place name it will be hidden in these records.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 28 November 15 17:20 GMT (UK) »
"Mount boggy bog"

Sit on wet toilet seat  ::) ::) ::)

Regards

Malky

Offline TamPepper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 29 November 15 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm more than pleased !!
Its probably the only cemetery I have NOT visited

Great rootschat result being told about an ancestor's grave and headstone....

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 29 November 15 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Just reading this thread and decided to toss in a contribution.
Very interesting and useful too, Don.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 November 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
     Some very useful & interesting Links posted on this thread, thankyou to all.
     The excellent 1st Link posted by 'MonicaL' in Reply 5 takes you into the Archives for the Forgan area with the list of Roger/Rodger baptisms.
     Click on 'Site Map' at the top of page.
     Click on 'Overall' under the title Census.
     Click on 1861 Census. (Or any other Census listed)
     Don't type anything in the Address Search boxes, just click on blue 'Address Search' button.
     This brings up all the Census addresses in the order of the enumerator's route.
     Gate Side (Households 34 & 35) is listed between Flass & Bogton.
     I've tried following the enumerator's route. 1st part is a bit of a muddle but from Seggieden he seems to have gone west to St Fort Gardener's House, Bothy, Stables, St Fort House (Henry Stewart, Landed Proprietor) Cottages (Land Steward & Domestic Staff) & Cottar Houses (Farm Cottages). Gate Side is next then south to 3 households at Bogton, west to Newton Smithy, Cottar Houses & Newton House then north to Wormit House. There are 2 un-named buildings just south of Flass & St Fort. (My money is on the one on the left/west side of road!) The un-named building on the north side of the road at Flass doesn't look big enough to be 2 households but is another possibility.
     Mountmirrygogue doesn't appear to be on any Census Return & I've only found Gate Side on the 1861 Census.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Vengeur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 29 November 15 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Mountmirrygogue doesn't appear to be on any Census Return & I've only found Gate Side on the 1861 Census.

I suspect the place ceased to exist or was renamed as it was only mentioned a few times in the mid C18. I did a search on all Forgan parish records using Mount* or Mont* and only the Ro(d)ger and a few others came up and only in those few decades

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 29 November 15 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Back to the subject of the previous for a moment, with all references to bog and the like  ::)...

Anybody able to see Bogton on old maps?

Monica

Added: Just as a bit more info, I think in 1851 Bogton may show as Bogearn (this is as you have done Dod, following the enumerator's walk). As you mentioned in 1861, 1851 shows a number of unnamed properties between Flass and Bogearn.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk