Author Topic: Death of Sarah Cole 27 August 1957 at Deniliquin  (Read 9286 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Death of Sarah Cole 27 August 1957 at Deniliquin
« on: Thursday 26 November 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Would any of my fellow Rootschatters possibly be able to help please regarding any possibly newspaper announcements about the death of Sarah Cole on 27 August 1957 at Chippenham Park, Deniliquin and subsequent inquest into her death on 10 September at the Deniliquin Court House? 

According to Sarah's death certificate she drowned but unfortunately its a little too late for anything to appear on Trove.  I'm interested in any reports which might confirm the full name of her son George Campbell (or for that matter a middle initial and his wife's name) whose birth date on the death certificate is out by a couple of years (editing for clarity) and is already deceased having died in 1972.  Doesn't help that Campbell is a bit of a common surname.  That said, if Sarah is who it is believed she is, then rather than being 74 years old according to her death certificate, she was actually about 82. :-\  Her second husband was some years younger than her which may explain some of the error.

In case anyone thinks of looking, yes there are a couple of ancestry Public Trees listing her but there are errors on them, some caused, assuming I'm correct about her identity, by a few little fibs she told when she remarried in 1924. :-X  I've not seen a copy of her 1924 marriage certificate but the ancestry tree of her great granddaughter suggests she told a few little fibs on it regarding both her age and her parentage.  I'm a little reluctant to contact any of the tree owners because I know from another researcher that it is a bit of a delicate subject with some of her descendants.

I've purchased quite a few BMD transcripts as it is relating to this sideline and don't really think anymore would conclusively help.  Its a shame that there isn't anything yet on Trove which might.

Any help appreciated, I don't need any other information as have a lot of research on her. ;D

Thanks

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Sarah Cole 27 August 1957 at Deniliquin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 15 21:38 GMT (UK) »
https://www.nla.gov.au/research-guides/newspapers/accessing-newspapers-in-the-library

Accessing newspapers from outside the Library
Can't visit the Library?
If you can't visit the Library in Canberra then you can use Trove to see if the item or newspaper is available at a library closer to you.

Another option is to request an item be delivered to your local library using interlibrary loan. Your local library will be able to tell you about this service. Read more on the related Newspapers guide, Copying newspapers.

Re the person you are naming as being listed on the 1957 death certificate as Sarah's offspring .... Can you please confirm that you know that person is no longer living.    You are clearly identifying that person (by name and by confirming relationship to Sarah)....

It is a no no at RChat to name the living.   

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0       
"Here on RootsChat we are very concerned that the privacy and security of the living is protected. For this reason we do not allow searches for living persons. Although we fully understand you would like recent information to add to your tree, or that you may wish to make contact with birth families, relatives you lost contact with when they immigrated to Australia, missing family or friends, we are afraid we are unable to assist you.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience this causes you but we are sure you will appreciate the reasons for this.

Please See:- http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,142443.0.html"

and

"If you are looking for living descendants, that is fine provided you do not provide details of these living persons. If you are providing details of someone we are likely to suspect may still be living, but you know is deceased, please state this."

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 15 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM, but in the circumstances I don't really see the need for you quoting the full RC rule book on the subject of no living individuals since, as my profile shows, I've been a RCer for over 11 years with in excess of 2.5k posts (which I know for some isn't that great a number but still quite a lot) so its not unreasonable to assume that I would have known about the no living person rule. 

A simple question would suffice and only throw the book at me if I had errored. ::)  All I'm guilty of is not explicitly mentioning the fact the person concerned was born in 1904 and yes they are deceased.  If you'd like to check, the NSW BMD reference for his death is 62697/1972.

Unfortunately, as I live in the UK, something that shows on my profile, inter-library loans isn't an option.  I was hopeing perhaps someone might perhaps have easy access to more recent newspaper reports, something that we do have some access to occasionally online in the UK through local libraries.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you contact
http://members.bordernet.com.au/denifhg/index.html

I've looked in my Deniliquin resources - Sarah does not have a headstone if she is buried at Deniliquin.

Many local libraries do not hold archived newspapers.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 15 23:14 GMT (UK) »
death of Sarah Cole on 27 August 1957 at Chippenham Park, Deniliquin

Her address on the electoral roll is Chippenham Park Road, Deniliquin. 

http://www.whereis.com/nsw/deniliquin-2710/chippenham-park-rd

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 November 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am surprised by your words in your post, but perhaps you had not realised I was not quoting from any RChat rule book,  as I was actually quoting from the stickied thread on this board.  In particular,   

"If you are looking for living descendants, that is fine provided you do not provide details of these living persons. If you are providing details of someone we are likely to suspect may still be living, but you know is deceased, please state this."

I am sorry you seem to have found my post confronting, as that was not its intention.   

Add, in my own family tree, I do have CAMPBELL as a surname.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 November 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »

I am sorry you seem to have found my post confronting, as that was not its intention.     

Cheers,  JM

Thanks JM, sorry may have over reacted a little but I gather there is a RC rule book as it has been figuratively thrown at some newbies recently after the UK TV programme that featured some RCers who had helped an adoptive person find their relatives.  I didn't see the programme but I gather it gave the impression to some that RC would find living relatives for them and they had to have the no living rule drawn to their attention. :-\

That said, if a poster has been a member for some time with reasonable post count, it may be better to just ask the question initially so as not to give them the wrong impression. ;D

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 November 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »
death of Sarah Cole on 27 August 1957 at Chippenham Park, Deniliquin

Her address on the electoral roll is Chippenham Park Road, Deniliquin. 

http://www.whereis.com/nsw/deniliquin-2710/chippenham-park-rd

Cando

Thanks Cando, yes she did live at Chippenham Park Road according to her death certificate but the cert says she drowned in Chippenham Park.

I suggest you contact
http://members.bordernet.com.au/denifhg/index.html

I've looked in my Deniliquin resources - Sarah does not have a headstone if she is buried at Deniliquin.

Many local libraries do not hold archived newspapers.

Cando

No I've noticed via an online resource that she doesn't appear to have a headstone, albeit I think her second husband who would appear to have died in 1989 does have one.

Thanks for the heads up about libraries not holding archived newspapers, I may have to wait and keep my fingers crossed that Trove add some later ones in due course.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 November 15 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Is this your line?

NSW Birth: 35390/1904 George C. CAMPBELL; Father-Robert; Mother-Sarah M. ; Paddington
death: 13/07/1972 #62697/1972 George Charles H. CAMPBELL; Father-Robert; Mother-Sarah; Deniliquin

Marriage: 3961/1926 George CAMPBELL and Vera M. TULIP; Deniliquin

Death: 30/12/1971 #40817/1972 Vera Mary CAMPBELL; Father-Henry; Mother-Susan; Deniliquin
Probate packet (may contain valuable information)
http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Entity.aspx?Path=\Item\1450847
Rootschatters who visit the archives and may be able to kindly assist.