Author Topic: Death of Sarah Cole 27 August 1957 at Deniliquin  (Read 9387 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Sarah Cole 27 August 1957 at Deniliquin
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 November 15 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Three files on NAA and you are viewing summaries of transcribed records.
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx

Doesn't appear that any researchers have purchased the files as they are usually digitised after purchase if the enlistee is deceased.

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/
Born 23 Sep 1905 Sydney
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=A&veteranId=317846

Born 23 Sep 1902 Sydney – [b it is possible the year of birth has been mistranscribed. Need to see his attestation papers[/b]
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=A&veteranId=654902

Born 25 Sep 1905 Deniliquin
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=A&veteranId=428198

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 November 15 01:00 GMT (UK) »
That said, if Sarah is who it is believed she is, then rather than being 74 years old according to her death certificate, she was actually about 82

Something not right here with your thoughts of Sarah being 82 years old in 1957 ie born c1875.  She would have been c52 years of age in 1927 when giving birth to Betty.

What was Sarah's age on this marriage certificate?

Marriage
8139/1924
COLE Robert
CAMPBELL Sarah
At Hay

Death
6800/1928     
COLE    Betty
Father Robert  Mother Sarah
At Hay

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article140678687
Riverina Grazier 25 May 1928
Deaths.
COLE. — On the 20th inst. at the Hay Hospital, Betty, dearly beloved daughter of Robert and Sarah Cole, age seven months.

Betty COLE was buried on 28 May 1928 at the Hay Cemetery, Church of England Section, Row R, Lot 37. 
Comment -  Baby. Unmarked grave.

Australian Electoral Roll
COLE Robert Henry  Moore Street  Hay  Labourer
COLE Sarah  Moore Street Hay  HD

COLE Robert Henry Lachlan Street, Hay. Labourer
COLE Sarah  Lachlan Street Hay  HD

Cando

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 November 15 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Deleted - can't read proper :-[

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 November 15 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando, yes this is why I'm trying to find some conclusive proof that the Sarah Cole who died in Deniliquin in 1957 is the mother of George Charles Campbell born 1904 in Paddington because his mother was definitely born in 1875, albeit not as Sarah.  The 1904 George Charles' birthdate ties in, albeit with a different year, with the details on the WW2 Attestations.

Sarah Cole's death cert from 1957 lists her as only having one child with Robert Henry Cole, a daughter born 1932.  An ancestry tree belonging to the granddaughter of her son born in 1909, has a comment that the daughter was adopted by the couple.  The death certificate doesn't list a daughter as being deceased, I would have thought if it was the same Robert and Sarah Cole that her husband would have listed a deceased child but anything is possible.  That said, they do appear to be the only Robert and Sarah Cole in Hay.

I don't have the 1924 Marriage Cert, but the details on the ancestry tree list Sarah as born 1889 (her husband I think was born 1902) and her parents as Harry Campbell and Mary Little.  I'm assuming she was probably listed as a widow but it would appear the parent's names from the tree were included on the marriage certificate as they are not on the death certificate, other than it listing her father's surname as Campbell.  Mind you her death certificate states she was 35 years old when she married Robert Henry Cole, which would appear to be where the tree owner has got the 1889 birth year from, albeit that her age is listed as 74 which suggests a birth year of 1883.  Obviously, 1883 would have just been young enough to have had a child in 1928.

As you can see, its a bit of a mess.  I think I should email this new contact that apparently knows a lot about her after 1904 and see whether she can confirm when she died and whether the Sarah Cole who died in Deniliquin is the correct death. :-X
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 November 15 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought regarding Betty Cole who died in 1928, I wonder whether she could have been adopted because her death would obviously have been registered as Cole?  The information on the ancestry tree states that Robert Henry and Sarah Cole did adopt a child in 1932, so I suppose its possible they'd adopted one earlier.  Unfortunately, without the 1928 births being available as yet, its difficult to know.  I accept there doesn't appear to be another Robert and Sarah Cole in the area or another marriage.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 November 15 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Formal adoption was introduced by legislation in 1923 in NSW.  A good summary
http://www.sag.org.au/helping-you/research-guides.html?task=view&id=25

The 1904 George Charles' birthdate ties in, albeit with a different year, with the details on the WW2 Attestations.

You need to view the original attestion papers not transcribed records.

Sarah Cole's death cert from 1957 lists her as only having one child with Robert Henry Cole, a daughter born 1932.

I am assuming that Robt H was the informant on that 1957 death cert.  Even so it depends on how the funeral director posed the question about issue of their marriage.  I would never take as true any information on a death certificate

An ancestry tree belonging to the granddaughter of her son born in 1909, has a comment that the daughter was adopted by the couple.

I'm lost here...what son?

I don't usually bother with online trees unless they are well sourced and referenced but this information about George Charles CAMPBELL's birth indicates that the compiler has at least sighted the certificate to have the ages and places of birth of the parents.

From NSW Birth index inserting the date
Birth - 23 Sep 1904
35390/1904
CAMPBELL  George C   
Father Robert W H   Mother Sarah M
District Paddington

These are noted as George's parents.

CAMPBELL Robert Wallace Hugh   Born Inverell NSW 1866 and died Armidale 29 Jul 1955   
HYATT Sarah Maria  born Turalla NSW 1870-

I can't see the sensitivity issue at all.  Many families have a few skeletons in the cupboard.  Glory be ....I usually respond with don't do your family history if you aren't prepared for a few unpleasantries along the way.

Cheers
Cando

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 November 15 02:20 GMT (UK) »
I can't see the sensitivity issue at all.  Many families have a few skeletons in the cupboard.  Glory be ....I usually respond with don't do your family history if you aren't prepared for a few unpleasantries along the way.

Cheers
Cando

I agree with your comments about skeletons in the cupboard, and in any case you tend to be able to find out more about the individuals if there are.  That said, there is a lot more to this family than I've posted and I do have my reasons for not posting them.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 November 15 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Well smudwhisk I'll have to leave you to it....I can't assist any further without details from some certificates, even if you think they are incorrect.  The devil is always in the detail. ;D

Good luck :)

Cando

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 November 15 02:38 GMT (UK) »
It is after 1:30 in the afternoon here in NSW, so likely it is at least 2:30 in the morning for smudwhisk

I have given my 1903 NSW Electoral Roll a good thrashing, but cannot find Sarah M CAMPBELL anywhere at either of the electorates THE RIVERINA or WENTWORTH.  Wentworth includes the Paddington (aka Glenmore) district of Sydney.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.