Author Topic: Re: Mary McNany, McEneaney etc 1821-1886  (Read 1607 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McNany, McEneaney etc 1821-1886
« on: Friday 27 November 15 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I posted the topic in quotes, about 3 years ago and am re-posting an update in the hope that someone can help me make a breakthrough.

I know that there are different spellings of my ancestor's name but had always assumed it was McNany. I now think that it could be McEneaney. I also thought they came from Louth, but am now wondering whether it could be Monaghan. It is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I have had an Ancestry DNA test, which states that I am 21% Irish. It also provides DNA connections with other Ancestry DNA members. I have had one today, which uses the spelling McEneaney and the address they gave was Lisnafedely, Magheros, Monaghan, as their ancestors birthplace, which I believe could be close to County Louth. Hugh Connor her husband, was born about 1815 and died in 1881.
 Can anyone help me trace my ancestors?

"I am trying to locate the birthplace of the above, who was my GG Grandmother, and finding it immensely difficult!! I know from the 1851 Census, that she and her husband Hugh O'Connor or Connor came from Louth, Ireland but I cannot locate them in the Louth records. I think that they must have come over to England at the time of the Potato Famine in Ireland and settled in Co.Durham. I have been unable to establish when Hugh and Mary were married, which could have been before they left Ireland or whether they met and married in England. I cannot find any record of them in the 1841 census. They had 4 children: Margaret, John, William and Thomas. After Hugh's death in 1881 she remarried in 1883. Her husband was Michael Dooley. On the marriage certificate, a witness was Bridget McNany and the fathers name was Bryan McNany (deceased). With all this information, I am hoping that some one can help me find the birthplace of this key relative."

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 November 15 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Did they live in Shadforth, Durham?
Also, what year did Mary pass on?
Maggsie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 15 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Link to previous topic-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=594483.0

No need to start a new tyopic- you could have just added to the existing one.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 November 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Maggsie,

Yes, they did live in Shadforth. Thomas Connor was born there and they lived there according to the 1861 Census. Then I think they moved to Spennymoor and Tudhoe, where Hugh Connor died in 1881.

Aghadowey

Thanks for the advice, I had thought that after a period of time the topic would have been forgotten. I will remember in future.