Author Topic: Seeking an ancestor - emigrated during the Famine  (Read 1817 times)

Offline AndrewMcK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for the stories of why I am here :)
    • View Profile
Seeking an ancestor - emigrated during the Famine
« on: Saturday 28 November 15 04:25 GMT (UK) »
I have little to no idea of where to search because I know so little. My great-great grandmother Hannah Hennessey emigrated to the US in 1852 at the age of 6. I know plenty of her life here in the States, but no blooming idea at all of where she came from, if she came alone, was orphaned, etc. I can't find her on any passenger lists via Ancestry. I do have the International membership, and I'd surely love to find some way to learn about the Irish family she came from. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking an ancestor - emigrated during the Famine
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 November 15 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andrew,

Would you have her marriage and death certificate? would that be noted on them?

cheers
yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 15 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Andrew,
Where abouts in US was she living?

Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 November 15 07:16 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=498742.0

Link  "My ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start"  :)

Taken from the Irish Resources board.

Offline AndrewMcK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 November 15 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Good morning - thank you all, and I did definitely read that link before my original post. I have gleaned valuable parental info from marriage records of other ancestors, but as of yet haven't found one for Hannah. She came to the states and settled in Glastonbury CT, married another Irish immigrant named Murray there 26 April 1868 but I've not yet found any documentation on that - just family records. They had many kids and she died and is buried near there (Portland CT). I have family there still, and I might just need to find a way to peruse the town records in person over the Christmas holiday perhaps.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 November 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried checking cemetery and church records which might give some details about Hannah's background?

The 1900 census gives Hannah as born Jan.1846 and to U.s. 1852 but 1910 says arrived 1854. Such variations in dates are not unusual. If Hannah came to America with her family as a child she may simply be listed as 'child' in a passenger manifest.

It would really help to find the marriage to see if names of parents are listed. Have you tried archives in Hartford to see if marriage was anywhere in Connecticut? Also what about Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New York?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AndrewMcK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 November 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey - I had seen that discrepancy in emigration dates as well. They were married in Glastonbury CT I believe, 26 April 1868 is the date. I've had no luck nailing that register or a license online anyplace, so I suspect I'll have to physically go someplace to put my mitts on something better. I also have no clue about where she crossed, with who or anything else. And the Hennessey name is fairly common. I do know more about her husband's family in Ireland, I believe they emigrated here together and his parents are buried somewhere in that same area of central CT, possibly Portland.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 09:26 GMT (UK) »
have you examined these volumes
 Glazier, Ira A., ed. The Famine Emigrants: Lists of Irish Immigrants Arriving at the Port of New York, 1846-51. 7 vols. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1983-86. (Family History Library book Ref Q 974.71 W3f.) These volumes contain many lists and indexes of Irish immigrants to the United States.  Unfortunately the dates covered might not suit your present knowledge
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi. What about early census records for US - isn't there one for 1860? Have you found her on that? And if you have any luck finding that marriage registration or church record the witnesses might reveal a family member.
Katharine.