Author Topic: 1653 preamble of the will of my 10x great grandfather John Butter  (Read 6421 times)

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
Re: 1653 preamble of the will of my 10x great grandfather John Butter
« Reply #36 on: Monday 07 December 15 15:17 GMT (UK) »
to Hd86 and Darren and Bookbox too

I think you've nailed it. I can't believe I couldn't see discrecon the f and s still fool me.
I think I went too fast on the last page creating errors, when I looked back after I had finished I found I had missed a whole line!
At the end of the meate line I thought it could be an adjective describing his wife, but "filler" seems to work fine.
I did have a question on the memorandum. Any idea what "the interlining of Thomas Davison in the last line but Two was done" means? It is the word "two" that has me confused. I understand that on the original will a line was added between existing lines "interlining".

Thanks again for your assistance and all the extra knowledge you have provided. I have enjoyed the experience.

Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 07 December 15 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Any idea what "the interlining of Thomas Davison in the last line but Two was done" means? It is the word "two" that has me confused. I understand that on the original will a line was added between existing lines "interlining".
It means that in the original will, in the third line from the end (= ‘last line but two’), the words ‘Thomas Davison’ were added between the lines (= ‘interlining’) before the will was sealed. This presumably relates to his appointment as one of the supervisors.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 01:23 GMT (UK) »

It means that in the original will, in the third line from the end (= ‘last line but two’), the words ‘Thomas Davison’ were added between the lines (= ‘interlining’) before the will was sealed. This presumably relates to his appointment as one of the supervisors.
Thankyou Bookbox for clearing that up for me. Have a great Christmas season.
Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 09:41 GMT (UK) »
You too, Brian  :)

Offline AlaskanShropshireLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile