Author Topic: Jean Baptiste BERLAND  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Jean Baptiste BERLAND
« on: Saturday 28 November 15 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I have found Jean Baptiste Berland 47 on the 1851 census transcription on the Family Search site where it states he was born in France and was living in Jersey with a 23 year old English wife Mary.
I cannot find this entry on the Library Edition of Ancestry at my local library so am unsure if there is any other relevant information.

I do know that in 1857 the couple sailed from England to New Zealand with 2 children whose likely names were Prosper Guilliame Raine Berland and Jules Gabriel Montigny Bain Berland.
How do I find out if these children were born/baptised in Jersey between 1851 (census) & departure  for NZ in 1857?  The children are not named on shipping lists and as they were early settlers information can be erratic!

Did Jean Baptiste and Mary marry in Jersey?

You will probably gather I am floundering in a strange (for me) area ::) and  would be very grateful for any assistance.

TIA
Dale
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Baptiste BERLAND
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 November 15 11:40 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast is showing a Jean B Berland, born 1804, living in St Helier?

Transcribed on Ancestry as Bresland?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 15 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Wow! That's a great start thank you! You wouldn't believe how much time the Librarian spent looking for it!
1804 birth is perfect for age 47 in 1851 and his age at death in NZ.
Thanks again.
Dale
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 November 15 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Having found the entry on FindMyPast, I just looked for A Jean, born 1804, living in Jersey!
2nd on the list looked a good match! ;D

I looked at the Church Records Database on Jerripedia, but I couldn't find any Berland or Bresland baptisms/births?

http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Jerripedia
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 November 15 13:00 GMT (UK) »
A quick look at the birth and marriage indexes next week when the Archive is open should give you the answers that you are looking for.
Leave it with me.

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 November 15 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Sincerely appreciate your help! Especially as these old bones required a sleep during a warm south pacific night!

I have a suspicion that Mary's surname was Raine(e) Rain, Rein and that the Bain in Prosper's names may actually be Rain etc.

Our heritage library has been closed for earthquake strengthening but I'll check the Library again for Bresland- thank you both !
Dale

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 December 15 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Disappointed to have to report that I could find no trace of this family in either the marriage, birth or baptism records. I even went through the B indexes searching marriages for any Jean Baptiste and births for any Prosper or Jules with zero results. Sorry.

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora
Thank you so much for searching for me! It is very frustrating when dealing with such bare facts and I am  SO very grateful for the time you have spent.
Enjoy the holiday  season - I'll mention your name to Santa as he comes here first in the world! ;D
Regards
Dale

Offline HanhO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dale I am researching and elderly friends ancestry (its been going since 2016)  her Great Grandmother was Mary Ann C Raine or Rein she was born in a place called Polparre France  but can't find it on Google maps her second marriage was to Feridinand Hahn her Great Grandfather in Akaroa. Her first husband was Jean Baptiste Berland so far I have found out that Jean was French was living on Jersey he came out to NZ in 1856 I have found Newspaper clippings(Papers Past) from that time advertising his Watchmaker and Jewellery business. The ads go for about a year then nothing, then friends post a request in the "New Zealander" 1860. They say they last heard of him being in Canterbury on 27/2/1857  and are asking for information on his where abouts and they say he was living on Jersey before going to the "Colony" his wife and family are in France they say he came out on the "Jospeh Fletcher 23/10/1856 the name of the captain was PooK. I down loaded the passenger list for the "Joseph Fletcher" (New Zealand Yeteryears) and he was not listed as having been on board. The story my friend Anita was told by her mother was that Mary had come out to NZ from France and that her husband (no name at this point in time) had drunk seawater during the voyage and gone insane and died in Lyttleton Jail in 1859. Mary was sent to the French Enclave at Akaroa and settled there. Anita's Gr Granfather Ferdidnand Hahn who lived and worked in Akaroa (there was a bridge and a corner named Hahn) he did a lot of labouring and clearing of land there needed a watch repaired so went to the shop in Akaroa fell in love I guess and the rest they say is history. NZ BMD support this and have an entry but I have not found where he is buried yet. Most frustrating but Jean could not have died during voyage to NZ if he established a watch and jewellery repair shop uness of course Mary was skillled too and decided t use her husbands name to open the shop. Mary and Jean did have two sons Prosper( a war hero in Boer War his records are all in NZ War Museum). The other son Jules lived worked and married in Akaroa area. I have a tree on Ancestry for Anita Black nee "Richards" my Ancestry username is JoyM65  the tree you will find the Berland info and some photos of Prosper  under "Richards" family tree actually all the newspaper stuff is not on their yet just found it all last week so still downloading info. If you want any of the newspaper information on the Berlands I can email it to you just let me know. I don't know why I am so fixated on Jean as he is not Anita's direct line of decent Mary is, your info you posted has filled a few gaps for me and confirmed a few stories as well so very grateful to you for that. If you would like an invite to view the tree just let me know.
regards
Joy