Author Topic: James Joseph Williams  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Joseph Williams
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who always refers to himself as Henry on censuses but he's John on birth, marriage and death certs (turns out henry was his theirs name!)

And another who didn't use any of her "official" forenames in every day life (including tax returns)

On this site I've come across a number of women who interchange between Hannah and Anna/Annie and similar. Johanna isn't far off.

And in the end it depends on who actually provided the information for eac registration/document  - she might use Annie, her husband Johanna (or vice versa)

Offline davidgoldburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mabel,

So working on that theory...when did Johanna die? I think Henry dies in 43...however so does Johanna....

There are no Johanna's dying in the late 40's in bermomdsey. Only the 1 in 43...

Hey ho!

Offline davidgoldburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 17:00 GMT (UK) »
The Johanna that is recorded in 1945 and 1946 clearly died in 1943!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes, definitely her! Can only assume the 1945 & 46 registers were a little inaccurate post war!

Offline davidgoldburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Surely Ellen would have to fill the form in each year?

#confused her mum was dead for 3-4 years!

Offline davidgoldburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 December 15 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Looking at the    13 Dec 1902 record of James and family going in to the work house. The magistrate has sent them there. is there any way of finding out the Magistrate records for James, Kate and William?

Cheers

David

Offline davidgoldburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 December 15 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I got the death certificate of Henry Williams who died in 1943 at the age of 17. Yes he lived at 99 White Grounds Estate, but his occupation was former Pipe maker.

Is a pipe maker part of pottery? Or former labourer?

Offline davidgoldburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 17 December 15 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

The annie steward in the 1881 wedding is a completely different person to the Johanna Steward birth certificate from 1864.

So is the Annie Stewart(d) on my James Williams birth certificate someone else....

Will post pictures later.

Cheers

Offline davidgoldburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Slowly getting more information :)

This is all from St Georges Cathedral in Lambeth.

I will leave this information here, just because someone might search Williams and find the relavant relation!

John Williams was born on 12 February 1889 and baptised on 7 April 1889; son of Henry Williams and Joanna Williams, formerly Stewart.
Godmother: Joanna Donovan
[No address]

Joanna Williams was born on 17 October 1887 and baptised on 11 December 1887; daughter of Henry Williams and Ann [in the Latin Anna] Williams, formerly Stewart.
Godfather: James Carroll
[No address]

James Williams was born on 29 August 1893 and baptised on 15 October 1893; son of Henry and Joanna Williams formerly Stuart. Godparents: James Scanlan; Margaret Collins.

Elizabeth Kate Williams [fortunately this priest put all the names in English - I had been looking for Catarina i.e. Catherine and hadn't expected to find a Kate] was born on 16 May 1891 and baptised on 28 June 1891; daughter of Henry William's [[sic] and Joanna formerly Joanna Steward [sic]. Godparents: John Steward; Mary Brown.

William Henry Williams was born on 14 December 1895 and baptised 12 January 1896; son of Henry and Joanna Williams formerly Stuart. Godparents: James Patrick Tobin; Anne Tobin.

Rose Williams was born on 10 March 1899 and baptised on 2 April 1899; daughter of Henry and Joanna Williams formerly Stewart ["Stuart" has been crossed through and the correction initialled P.H.M. - the priest, Peter Hugh Mason].
Godparents: Henry Walker; Jane Walker.
At the bottom of the entry is added, in Latin: this Rose Williams married Frederic John Hazell at S[t.] Gert[rude] S[outh] Bermondsey on 23 May 1920.
The address has been added in the margin: 1 Red Cross Place.

Edw. Daniel Williams was born on 14 June 1901 and baptised on 14 July 1901; son of Henry and Joanna Williams formerly Stewart.
Godparent: Helen Cairney.
The address has again been added in the margin but I can't read the initial letter: 18 [ ]rundy Bldgs. Boro[ugh]. "G" at least would be pronounceable but it doesn't look like a "G" and I can't find a likely address at this sort of date in the "Borough" (this is an area around Borough High St.).

Ellen Williams [called Hellena in the Latin] was born on 6 December 1903 [not 1904] and baptised on 22 January 1904; daughter of Henry and Joanna Williams formerly Stewart.
Godparent: Annorah Daley. [A preceding "H" has been crossed through and the "A" of Annorah is capitalised, so her name was probably Ann Norah].
The address has been added in the margin: 58 Surrey Row, Blackfriars. This must  mean Surrey Row off Blackfriars Road, not Blackfriars north of the river.

Cheers David