Author Topic: w mate  (Read 1937 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
w mate
« on: Monday 30 November 15 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find details of the career of a W. Mate who was evidently a performer in the theatre in Deal around the time of the Na
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: w mate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 November 15 13:26 GMT (UK) »
The time of the Na?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Is this the one you mean?

".... Mate of Dover also presented material in a similar way at the head of one of his printings where there are notes indicating that Boney from Moscow was 'A Comic Song, Written & Sung by W. Mate at the Theatre, Deal with unbounded applause' and that, likewise, Bonaparte's Flight from Leipsic was 'Written and Sung by W. Mate at the Dover Theatre, in Character of a French Officer, with most unbounded applause'."

http://www.mustrad.org.uk/articles/d_nelson.htm

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
What time frame are you looking at ? I can find newspaper references to a Mr Mate , clown/comedian, performing in Kent in the late 18th century and to a Charles Mate , also involved in the theatre. This article refers to a W Mate performing comic songs in Dover and Deal :
http://www.mustrad.org.uk/articles/d_nelson.htm

I beg your pardon , Shaun , I was a bit slow off the mark !

Christine
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
I messed up on my original request: my apologies.

The mustrad Mate is the one - it was me who wrote the article you refer to; but I can't find any details of this W. Mate.  Was he a relative of Charles Mate?

I can't, either, find anything about the Deal theatre in question - late eighteenth and early nineteenth century...

Apart from which, when did Charles Mate finish working in the theatre and take up printing?  My first reference to a printing dates to 1807.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 15 15:34 GMT (UK) »
According to Charles Mate's obit in the Kentish Chronicle of 16 September 1825, he carried on acting until a very few years before his death.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 15 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the Kentish Chronicle lead...  The LAST reference I have to a Charles Mate printing is to 1820.  Maybe CM continued to act right through his printing career.

W. Mate remains unknown to me.

roly

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 15 16:10 GMT (UK) »

The LAST reference I have to a Charles Mate printing is to 1820

1822 reference in the Gazette - bottom left of page https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/17826/page/1002/data.pdf

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 15 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Charles Mate listed as a printer in this 1824 Directory. Page 391 or image 16 of 45 of the Kent section: http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/ref/collection/p16445coll4/id/167102