Author Topic: DAVID BROWN (1751-1834) - Last Will & Testament  (Read 720 times)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DAVID BROWN (1751-1834) - Last Will & Testament
« on: Tuesday 01 December 15 04:12 GMT (UK) »
My 4th ggrandfather died in Selkirk 22/8/1834 and was buried in Auld Kirkyard, Selkirk. I am endeavouring to track down his Will, but with little success at this stage.  Has anyone any suggestions as to where I could direct my enquiries?
Thanks,  Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DAVID BROWN (1751-1834) - Last Will & Testament
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Had a look on www.scotlandspeople but nothing how do you know he left a will ?
Rosie

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Rosie, I meant to say that I couldn't pick up anything from Scotlands People either.  The only reason that I believe that there may have been a Will is because he is described as a Portioner on his headstone and I understand that that was a land owner.  I was hoping that he needed and had a Will to deal with disposal of land upon his death. 
Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 09:44 GMT (UK) »
A portioner may not have owned a great deal of land. If he had a son, the land would have passed to him without the need for any indication in a will. The Register of Sasines records the transfer of land and there should be something there. Was he a portioner at the time of his death? Sometimes land was sold in the person's lifetime, but they are described as "portioner" in an earlier inscription on a gravestone commemorating the death of a wife or child while he was still in ownership of the land.

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you GR2; interesting information.  Research into Register of Sasines is all new to me so should provide a good challenge.  I assume that, if in fact grandfather was a property owner, it may be possible to find such information as property address and who he purchased/inherited the property from? I've had a bit of a look at searching the Register on line and must say that it looks a bit daunting at this early stage  :-[     Thanks, Bill