Author Topic: Clarke (or Clark) of Dunham Massey c1841  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Kelso04

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clarke (or Clark) of Dunham Massey c1841
« on: Wednesday 02 December 15 01:46 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in a Clarke family who lived in the hamlet of Sinderland in the township of Dunham Massey in the 1841 census. They were :
James 45 Agricultural Labourer, his wife Elizabeth 45, daughter Ann 15 (incorrect transcription on census) and son Joseph 13
By 1851, Elizabeth is out of the picture (presumably died) and there is James 56 Agricultural Labourer,  daughter Ann 25,  son Joseph 20 and two grandchildren Hannah age 4 and James age 2 (I assume these may be illegitimate children of Ann's)
By 1861 the family is still in Sinderland, Dunham Massey and is comprised of  - James 65, Joseph 32 and Joseph's wife and two children.
I am really interested in what happened to Ann Clarke and her 2 children - particularly James Clarke born c1849 but can find no trace of any of them in the 1861 census. I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Edith Hillan

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clarke (or Clark) of Dunham Massey c1841
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry links to a marriage in Ireland 14 Jun 1854 not sure how likely this is  :-\

Ann Clarke 28 father James Clarke to spouse James Clarke

Failing that there is a baptism for a James Clarke Sinderland mother Ann Clarke father Thomas Allen 10 Jun 1849 so something to investigate there - maybe Ann married Thomas Allen and the child/ren are under his name?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Also at Bowdon
Ann Clark d of James married 16.5.1854 Samuel Rowbotham s of John
Might be worth a look.
Ciderdrinker

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 December 15 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Also at Bowdon
Ann Clark d of James married 16.5.1854 Samuel Rowbotham s of John
Might be worth a look.
Ciderdrinker

Yes, well worth a look  :)

Samuel Rowbottom full age, labourer res. Dunham  father John who was a Butcher.
Ann Clark full age spinster, res Dunham father James, labourer.

One of the witnesses was Joseph Clark who made his mark and could possibly be Ann's brother.

It's interesting to note that living next door to James and Joseph his wife and children on the 1861 census is the Allen family including a Thomas Allen widower.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kelso04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 December 15 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you for the assistance - however I am struggling a little bit with the follow up on the hints suggested. I can find the 1854 marriage of Samuel and Ann on the Cheshire BMD site - but interestingly not on Ancestry (even with variations on spelling). Can you tell me how to access the additional information regarding the marriage that rolnora was able to give e.g. witnesses, age, occ etc ? For some reason I also can't seem to find Samuel on the 1861 census anywhere - so any suggestions on this would be most appreciated.

I think from the 1851 census data that Ann Clark may have had 2 children out of wedlock - Hannah (1847) and James (10 June 1849 - interestingly this baptismal date is listed as the DoB in the family birthday book). There is a Thomas Allen listed as the father of a James Clarke - but I could find no record of any marriage between Thomas and Ann. By the 1861 census Thomas Allen is still living with his father William and there is a grandson  John age 6 (b1855) there as well (thanks for pointing out who the neighbours were !)

James Clark(e) eventually turns up again in Stockport and I have a copy of his marriage certificate from 3rd September 1871. It notes that his father is James Clarke farmer deceased  (I think his grandfather James Clarke who he was living with in 1851 died in 1870). James by that time was a shoemaker (and eventually went on to become a surgical shoemaker in Sunderland)

I would love to know what happened in the missing years between 1851 and 1871 - and where he learned his trade !

Many thanks

Edith

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 December 15 15:13 GMT (UK) »
They are on FindMyPast, guessing the first is the index and the other the register.
ROWBOTHAM  SAMUEL  —  —  1854  England & Wales marriages 1837-2008  Altrincham, Cheshire, England 

Rowbotham  Samuel  —  —  1854  Cheshire Diocese of Chester parish marriages 1538-1910  Cheshire, England 
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 December 15 07:54 GMT (UK) »
I can't see Ann or Samuel on the 1861 census :(
Have you considered the possibility that they had both died ?

Ann Rowbotham age 31 died 1856 Altrincham
Samuel Rowbotham age 35 died 1857 Altrincham

http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk

Freebmd has
Ann died Dec Qtr 1856 and Samuel June Qtr 1857

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Offline Kelso04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 December 15 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much - yes I had noted that there were 2 deaths that might be Ann and Samuel  as you suggested - however I am still in the dark about James ! I did notice that there was a James Clarke (who was slightly older) listed in the 1861 census for the Altrincham Workhouse and wondered if that might be him but wasn't able to get any more than just the name and age. Is it possible to get further information about workhouse inmates on-line (I live in Canada so a visit to archives isn't feasible)

Many thanks

Edith

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 December 15 10:57 GMT (UK) »
The only James Clarke that I can find on the 1861 census born Dunham is 9 and with him is a Thomas Clarke 12, in  Altrincham Workhouse

Find my Past have some workhouse records and there is a James Clarke in the free index.
You will need a few credits to be able to access the full details.

I have found a James Clarke born Altrincham, 21, unmarried and a lodger, living in Middlesborough on the 1871 census.
Age is out by a couple of years but he is a Cordwainer

RG10 Piece 4893 Folio 16 Page 26