Author Topic: framleigh gardens mitcham  (Read 640 times)

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
framleigh gardens mitcham
« on: Wednesday 02 December 15 15:47 GMT (UK) »
i am looking for some information about an address i have reference to in a newspaper dated january 1931. in the article it refers to Amy Ann Dennigan, 14 Framleigh Gardens Mitcham. earlier in the article it says that the prisoner, son of amy ann lived at 41 Framleigh Gardens with his parents. it says his mother (amy ann) had a contract with the government to board men from the training centre.
so i have to assume that either 14 or 41 is a typo as i know they lived together. framleigh is refered to twice as framleigh so although goggle is trying to correct it to farmleigh, i have to assume framleigh is correct. no amount of searching gives me any help. its frustrating as i know amy ann had a boarding house in bournemouth for many years, and this is a new lead in my search for the elusive dennigans.
so could anyone help please? does framleigh gardens ring any bells? or the boarding house? plus which training centre is it refering too please?
many thanks
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: framleigh gardens mitcham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Used the 1939 Register address search on Find My Past to check for "Framleigh Gardens" - not simply Mitcham but nationwide - none found.

There is a "Frimley Gardens" in Mitcham. 

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Used the 1939 Register address search on Find My Past to check for "Framleigh Gardens" - not simply Mitcham but nationwide - none found.

There is a "Frimley Gardens" in Mitcham. 

And guess who is living at 14 Frimley Gardens (1930-~1936) on the Surrey Electoral Rolls: Amy and Richard DENIGAN.

Maureen

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 19:19 GMT (UK) »
i cannot thank you enough! i never even thought of checking the 1939 registar. would anyone know what the training centre is refering too please?

saville foljambe moore

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Wild guess on my part-but maybe a government training centre for the unemployed?

Maureen

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 December 15 08:24 GMT (UK) »
that might be one option yes. these people were not the nicest of people and would do pretty much anything to make a penny or two (or steal a penny or two!) i must confess i do not know mitcham or the surrounding area at all, but i bet anyone living in that area at that time knew these people and most likely avoided them!

forgive me if im asking too much i dont know how the 1939 registar works, is it a subscription or credits? if its possible can you see without charge who else is living at the address at that time? im searching for a number of elusive dennigans many of whom used other names!
many thanks

saville foljambe moore

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 15 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel

The free preview should list some of the other members living in the household. If you do an address search rather than a person search, that might also prove fruitful.

Full access to the details on the 1939 register is by Pay As You Go Credits, there are deals available but the basic cost is £6.95 per household.

If you can get to the National Archives at Kew, you can do all your research without extra charge.

If you can hang on, I'll be doing another Kew look-up after Christmas.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 December 15 10:13 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much for the offer and adivce. its been a good few years since ive done any real research and already the family research brain ache is back! i forgot what a fog your mind can get.

i did a quick look on the registar a few weeks ago and got cross because i was doing it wrong and i was getting no where. i shall go back and try again.
thank you

saville foljambe moore