Author Topic: Motto "A tout pourvoir"  (Read 4197 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Motto "A tout pourvoir"
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 December 15 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Malky,

2 problems with your find! ;D

First, that's a pale, and not a bend (a bend is diagonal).
Second, the bend is definitely cotised - it has narrow bands running on either side.

But, a nice try!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 December 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I have taken more shots of the two objects with a scale in view and will post them once I have reduced the images.  Neither of the items has any mark but both show signs of age such as would horrify the Antiques Road Show experts: cracks & chips.

A

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 December 15 12:37 GMT (UK) »
That is not necessarily the case. Chips and cracks add character and even with them value can still be high depending on the item.  :)

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 December 15 13:28 GMT (UK) »
There might be an outside chance that the other arms are from a family by the name of Cary. Below is the arms of the well-known Cary family of Devon. Sometimes families with the same name as another (but with no proof of a common origin) adopted similar arms with a slight variation. Couldn't say it 100%, but there's a slight chance.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 December 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Here is a shot of the two parts on what is probably a far more recent wooden mount.  In the foreground is a six-inch rule showing some of the inch markings, I hope.

A

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 December 15 15:59 GMT (UK) »
The impaled arms (on the right) would be: Argent a bend cotised sable three cinquefoils of the field. But I'm not finding that anywhere?
KGarrad, I believe your blazon would be consistent with Dauney/Dawney of Woodbere (Devon) ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WF4OAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA479&dq=dauney+woodbere&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG0oWVxcLJAhUF_Q4KHcEQAaYQ6AEIHzAA#v=onepage&q=dauney%20woodbere&f=false

... but another armory suggests the cinquefoils in the Dauney arms are or rather than argent. So this is inconclusive.

I believe the charges shown in replies ##8 and 12 above are roses and not cinquefoils.

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 December 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I believe the charges shown in replies ##8 and 12 above are roses and not cinquefoils.

Yes, the charges in the coat I put up were roses rather than cinquefoils.

It is hard to see from the original photo of the arms in question here, but it appears as if the centre is yellow (or certainly a different colour to the leaves), which would suggest roses rather than cinquefoils.  The latter generally are either one colour or have a "doughnut"-like hole in the centre exposing the field on which the charge is placed.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 December 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »
If they are roses (and I might admit defeat on that point!) then the family is Trenwith.

Trenwith: Argent, on a bend, cotised, sable, three roses of the field
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 December 15 03:41 GMT (UK) »
A nice set Ainsley. Someone thought it was worthy of a nice display stand. I wonder if that may be a coffee bowl? (Sorry I can't work out the dimensions from your photo).

No help in identifying the family though I'm afraid, but I see others have some good suggestions.