Author Topic: William Hay and Agnes Mason  (Read 832 times)

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hay and Agnes Mason
« on: Wednesday 02 December 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the parents of William Hay and Agnes Mason

William Hay married Agnes Mason - date unknown.  This is from the statutory death certificate of Margaret Hay 1817-1887. They had issue:
    Jane Hay 13 September 1801 Nairn
    Archibald Hay 23 September 1816 Inverness
    Margaret Hay 1817 Hopeman, Moray (from Census records - no OPR found)
    Anne Hay 24 April 1819 Inverness
    Elizabeth Hay 24 November 1824 Nairn

The death certificate of Margaret Hay (my 3rd GGM) clearly says William Hay and Agnes Mason as the parents.

The OPR for Archibald Hay in Inverness states "23 February 1816 William Hay and his spouse Agnis Mason had a child baptized by the Rev. Alexander Rose named Archibald. Witnesses are Archibald Mason and Alexander Fraser.  I have an idea that Archibald is likely the father of Agnes."

The OPR of Anne Hay states "24 April 1819 William Hay Cooper and his spouse Egnow Masson had a child baptized by the Rev. Rose named Anne. Witnesses Alexander Mac Hay and Colin McKinnen."  This suggests to me that the possible father of William is Alexander (Mac) Hay.

While the Census records indicate that Margaret was born 1817 Hopeman, Moray, I am not sure this is the right William Hay/Agnes Mason, or if Margaret was actually born someplace else.

Any help that provided would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Hay and Agnes Mason
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Scott, just a guess for consideration really.

A possible entry for Agnes, from what you have mentioned and the reference to an Archibald. First born from your list (?) Jane?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1D2-S4M

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 December 15 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I think that is highly likely - Thank you. 

From searching last night on familysearch last night, I found another child, Isabella and was able to down load the OPR from SP.  This is from the OPR in Forres, Moray:  "Isabella, Lawful daughter of William Hay, Cooper and Agnes Masson his spouse, was born on 18th and baptized 28th July 1813. Witnesses Captain John McDonald or Borleau and James Petrie, Gardener, Hopeman."

I have not been able to find the OPR of Margaret.  I am also suspicious of the gap of children - 1801-1824.  The age of Eggnow found in the previous post is of the right age.  I need to pull her OPR.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 December 15 17:34 GMT (UK) »

The OPR for Archibald Hay in Inverness states "23 February 1816 William Hay and his spouse Agnis Mason had a child baptized by the Rev. Alexander Rose named Archibald. Witnesses are Archibald Mason and Alexander Fraser.  I have an idea that Archibald is likely the father of Agnes."

Scott, Archibald Mason and Jane McGregor mentioned, they also had a son called Archibald https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1DP-RLX and Alexander https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1DY-LT1  Likely more, but often OPRs can be patchy as you are finding. I thought the reference to an Archibald as witness could also apply (if the right family) to brother.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 December 15 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Certainly it could be her brother.  Unfortunately there is very little to differentiate the two.