Author Topic: Thomas Emrys JONES d.o.b. 27/11/1868 Flintshire or Hanley Staffs?  (Read 3232 times)

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Emrys JONES d.o.b. 27/11/1868 Flintshire or Hanley Staffs?
« on: Thursday 03 December 15 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am researching my paternal line and know my great grandfather was known as Thomas Emrys JONES - on the majority of census 1891, 1901 and 1911, he is shown as being born in Hanley, Staffs though it appears he may have been born in Flintshire as on 1871 this is where he is shown as living in Mold with his mother Elizabeth father Thomas, brother John Edward and sister Margaret. It appears Thomas senior remarried (though did not find death of Elizabeth) as on 1881 census he is again living in Flintshire with wife of Thomas snr shown as Ellin - there is also a brother born at same age as John Edward who is not on the 1871 census (David)

His brother John Edward JONES born 1867 is shown on the various census and it seems Thomas and John travelled to Cumberland in 1891 and living in area of Ellenborough/Dearham where he married Margaret Hannah ARMSTRONG b 29/11/1869 at Union Workhouse, Cockermouth (whose parents I cannot find). Great grandfather TE Jones is shown on his wedding certificate as residing in New Seaham, Co. Durham 19/11/1892 which is where I find TEJ on the various census afterwards as well as his brother JEJ.

So my query is - how will I locate his birth record? as he is shown as born in two different places - or perhaps I am wrong in my findings thus far.

On 1939 records Thomas Emrys is acturally shown as Thomas H JONES living with a son Joseph Holland JONES (54, Seventh Street, Horden, Co Durham. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Best regards - Bryn
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
KNAPP (Mariners) - ex of Kent moving to Seaham.
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

JONES - Seaham Harbour Great Grandfather Thomas Emrys JONES b1868

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Emrys JONES d.o.b. 27/11/1868 Flintshire or Hanley Staffs?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 December 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Could you please give us the census reference for him in 1891 and 1901, thanks  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 December 15 15:28 GMT (UK) »
So my query is - how will I locate his birth record? as he is shown as born in two different places - or perhaps I am wrong in my findings thus far.

Well that depends how many Thomas Emrys Jones birth registrations there are!  I can imagine a lot of Thomas Jones but as you have his exact date of birth it should be found in the Dec 1868 quarter (or perhaps Jan 1869) so that narrows it down considerably.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 December 15 15:33 GMT (UK) »
There is one Thomas Jones registered Dec 1868 in Stoke upon Trent, unfortunately no Emrys or E in the name.

Flintshire has a few more options. 

Where does his brother have for a birthplace?
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 December 15 15:39 GMT (UK) »
March 1868 - December 1869 - FreeBMD

There are no instances of birth registrations for Thomas Emrys, Emrys or Emrys Thomas Jones   :'(

From StaffordshireBMD there are two instances of Thomas Jones in Hanley in 1868 - mother's maiden name of Evason and Jones.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 December 15 15:49 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 John Edward and Thomas have birthplace of Llanasa Flintshire which leads to Holywell registration district.

Both parents have birthplace Whitford also Holywell district so likely they also married there.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the work folks - My belief (due to working out family ties within Seaham area) are that the following census contain my Thomas Emrys and John Edward Jones.

1871 Census in Mold RG 10 5649

1881 Census Llanwrwst RG  11 5534

1891 Census Dearham RG 12 4103

1901 Census in Seaham RG 13 4689
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 December 15 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi re the "David" shown on the 1881, I note both he and Ellin were born Llanrwst Denbighshire just wondering if the Ellen Jones 34 and amongst other children a David Jones 2 both born Llanrwst are in the Workhouse Llanrwst in 1871 Ellen married to a John Jones?
Census ref RG10/5676/59/15
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 December 15 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thanks for the response. Only recently did I discover that census having discounted so many previously. Having tied in the John Edward Jones and the link to Cumberland and onwards to Seaham couldn't say with any conviction they were correct. My issue is in the conflict between Flintshire and Hanley, Staffs.
I think I can say that Ellington was a 2nd wife to Thomas senior with David perhaps the result of an earlier relationship as he and John Edward are born the same year but different places, though tying in Thomas Emrys to the family.

The other thing that threw me was on the 1939 record he is shown as Thomas H Jones rather than Thomas E. He was the correct record in 1939 as the head of household was my father's uncle.